New Hampshire ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 06 Sep 2018

I'm considering spending 4th-30th December in New Hampshire, quite close to some of the ice climbing there (40 mins from Concord). Has anyone climbed out there, how reliable are ice conditions?

Also any advice r.e. must-dos and lesser known gems would be appreciated. 

Cheers

nniff 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Can't really help you, I'm afraid, other than to steer you towards this   vimeo.com/22993356

Proper bit of climbing that.

OP Roberttaylor 06 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

That bit of footage makes my palms sweat. Horrible to watch.

Pay Attention 06 Sep 2018

There's a guide book: An Ice Climber's Guide to Northern New England by Rick Wilcox.

It's on Amazon here 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Climbers-Guide-Northern-England-Third/dp/097203071...

dauwhe 07 Sep 2018

Lots of route information on MountainProject: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106099658/nh-ice-and-mixed

Pinnacle Gully is awesome; lots of good climbing at Frankenstein and on Mt. Willard. 

redjerry 07 Sep 2018

December is usually a bit early, but it really varies a lot from year to year. Jan/Feb usually more reliable. Having said that we're not talking Scotland here.... I guided there for 10 winter seasons (dec thru march) and almost never had to cancel a day out.

dsh 07 Sep 2018

Compared to the UK conditions are very reliable.

Lake Willoughby Vermont is another good spot and further North, if you don't mind a couple of hours drive. 

pneame 07 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

Hells teeth!

nniff 07 Sep 2018
In reply to pneame:

Probably the definitive antidote to send-it-dude-over-rehearsed-anodyne-bouldering-movies in which the only question is whether the subject catches the hold this time or hits the mat again.  400 feet of air below that hand jam sequence ……...

OP Roberttaylor 07 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

Pretty raw.

ben b 07 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

Anyone passing by this thread wondering if they should click the link or not...

Do it now!

Unless it's just before bed in which case you might not sleep well. I think my imagination is just a bit too good, I can see the dinner plates and sudden unforeseeable fractures in the ice...ugh...

He's not bad, that House lad, is he?

b

Tim Sparrow 08 Sep 2018
In reply to nniff:

"We get kind of attached to having a future."

Amen to that!!

topee 10 Sep 2018

looking at going out in mid Jan 2019 if anyone interested.

stew 17 Oct 2018

> I'm considering spending 4th-30th December in New Hampshire, quite close to some of the ice climbing there (40 mins from Concord). Has anyone climbed out there, how reliable are ice conditions?

> Also any advice r.e. must-dos and lesser known gems would be appreciated. 

> Cheers

Hi check out www.neclimbs.com  the best climbs are up and around crawford notch, frankenstiens cliff is a must (Dracula a classic ) and further up at lake willoughby, the ones further south are ok, but around crawford there's some amazing routes, for conditions check ne c. When we went conditions where really good a couple of days where slightly cold -30, then the next year it was a bit spars so you never can tell, but there will be something in... 

Pay Attention 19 Oct 2018
In reply to stew:

Dracula is a fine climb - a classic ... but for a real chilly thrill you should ride the back country trails on a hired snowmobile.

stew 19 Oct 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

> Dracula is a fine climb - a classic ... but for a real chilly thrill you should ride the back country trails on a hired snowmobile.

Hi Paul... Er would that be the snowmobile, which you was driving at 60mph and you never see the single lane road in front of you, and with some bit of luck with me on the back some how cleared it and the snowbank, you crazy fool... )))  great trip huh , very jealous of Rob T, going there..

Pay Attention 20 Oct 2018
In reply to stew:

If your faith is strong then a snowmobile can fly.

Also if you don't see the stop sign.

drsdave 11 Nov 2018

Must go there myself one day...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...