Mulhacen - Sierra Nevada - 3500m - December

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoelPatchitt 20 Nov 2018

Climbing Mt Mulhacen in Mid december with a guide.

For my body I was thinking: thermal baselayer, some baselayer shirts, a hoody, a 550down jacket and a water/windproof hardshell jacket on top.

Will this be enough or will I need a proper fleece jacket to go under my 550 down jacket intead of the normal hoody. or even further is 550 down enough?

There temperatures right now have hit -7 and would probably be colder in December

For legs i was thinking my thermal baselayer, thermal lined combat trousers, waterproof overtrousers

Should I be including another layer for my legs?

All advice would be geat, thank you.

Climbthatpitch 20 Nov 2018
In reply to JoelPatchitt:

It all depends on how your body regulates its temperature. I run really hot and I don't need a load of layers but my wife needs a full on down suit to go out for a walk I  the park in Autumn

I wouldn't change what is on your legs.

It depends on how much 550 fill is in your jacket. For me what you have on your top half would be fine. 

Lee

OP JoelPatchitt 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Climbthatpitch:

The jacket is 550d down 90/10, I dont really have much more info on that.

abr1966 20 Nov 2018

As mentioned it depends on your body and how warm or cold you are on the hill. I've been up a couple of times and also had to turn back on one occasion due to heavy snow and wind.

Which route are you taking? From the west you may be colder as its exposed for longer....I prefer the north east ridge or the north face has some interesting lines in the right conditions. The whole range is an interesting place, I'm planning on spending quite a bit of time there in a couple of years...

Enjoy the trip!

Climbthatpitch 20 Nov 2018

Well it is the best down you can get.

Sorry can't be no more of a help 

Lee

Robms 20 Nov 2018

Prepare for all eventualities.  I skied up from the south on Boxing Day many years ago.  It was baking hot, so much so my partner stripped right down to his undies and went like that all the way to the summit.  The day before it had been snowing hard at 2000m with temperatures (with wind chill) way below freezing.

TobyA 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Robms:

> The day before it had been snowing hard at 2000m with temperatures (with wind chill) way below freezing.

So you mean the temperature wasn't below freezing then? 

Jasonic 21 Nov 2018

Have climbed the north face once in January- was very chilly- suggest also sunglasses/cream. Also a buff or two - good post here;

https://www.allbutessentialtravel.co.uk/how-to-stay-warm-in-the-mountains/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...