Montana ice climbing tips and advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 09 Jul 2022

Just in case anyone is getting bored of summer, I'm planning on heading out to Montana in Feb 2023 for two weeks ice climbing in the Hyalite Canyon area.

Is there anyone online, or local that has any advice or tips they would be willing to impart? Especially with regards to reasonable accommodation, the do's and do not's, local ethics, places to eat and other must do things for rest days. Things like that.

Also, any wizardry regarding conditions and alternative venues if things aren't good would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Ingman 10 Jul 2022
In reply to GarethSL:

Hi Gareth

I can't reply from personal experience in Montana but I did try to organise a trip there a couple of years ago - it was thwarted by the second UK covid lockdown. Have you got the 'Winter Dance' guide book by Joe Josephson? A lot of good information in there that should help you plan your trip, and it covers other areas like Cody in Wyoming.

Good luck with the trip. If you need somebody to hold your ropes........

Cheers.....Jeff

OP GarethSL 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Brilliant, thanks Jeff! Will definitely look into getting a copy of the book. Did you buy it direct or from Joe's webside or  another source?

Jeff Ingman 11 Jul 2022
In reply to GarethSL:

I got it second hand off Amazon a few yrs ago - 30 dollars or so.  It's an inspiring book 

Jeff 

OP GarethSL 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Super, I just ordered up House of Hyalite so will look at getting winter dance too, just need to find a seller who can post it to Norway!

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...