Mid march loch Ness area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 23 Feb 2023

Heading up to Fort Augustus area on March 6th for a week.  Only walking solo but not sure where (depending where the parental unit drops me), I'm not sure on conditions or expected weather.

Just seeing if people would bother packing an axe (aztar) and crampons. Guess I'd rather have them and not need them. But it is extra to take on the plane.

Graeme G 23 Feb 2023
In reply to fire_munki:

Depends how high you plan on going? But if you’re heading up the hills, then yes pack them.

Mark Bull 23 Feb 2023
In reply to fire_munki:

Too far ahead to say with any certainty, though much new snowfall looks unlikely in the next week or so: keep an eye on mountain weather forecasts and snow conditions (at https://www.sais.gov.uk/ ) nearer the time. 

gld73 23 Feb 2023
In reply to fire_munki:

If you're intending to only do munros whatever the weather/conditions, then yes, take axe and crampons as it's possible you might need them (possible, but not certain; it's jumped between snow and mild conditions a fair bit up here this year).

If you're completely flexible on what walking you'll be doing, then it's not necessary to bring axe and crampons as you'll always find smaller hills or lower level walks (Great Glen Way and South Loch Ness Trail / Loch Ness 360 go through Fort Augustus) to safely do when there's snow high up or poor conditions. 

Post edited at 20:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...