Mid March ice climbing conditions in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George1924 11 Feb 2020

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for good ice climbing conditions in mid March? From what I've read places like the Cogne valley, La Grave and Chamonix have some good conditions at least until the end of February but there isn't too much information about conditions beyond that. From what I can tell, some of these places have enough routes in condition at the moment.

I'm primarily looking for waterfall ice but would be interested in hearing about the conditions in general. Has anyone tried any of these places in March or has anyone any better suggestions or advice?

Misha 12 Feb 2020
In reply to George1924:

Stuff high up in Cogne and other high up areas in the Aosta valley may be ok. Mid March isn’t exactly prime water ice season though. 

Post edited at 00:34
 AdrianC 12 Feb 2020
In reply to George1924:

It just depends on the weather patterns in whatever year you're there but by going in March you're limiting your chances of finding good water ice conditions.  If you do find routes still there, with the generally higher temperatures you're also more likely to have to make fine judgements on whether the ice is solid enough to spend a few hours hanging off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...