Menage a Trois Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barry donovan 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Jasonic:

Really good fun vid with a skill and experience background that doesn’t need to be showcased - epitomises the often overlooked sheer ‘Joie de Vivre’ of being in the moment doing risky with the right people.  Thanks Polly and co 

TobyA 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Jasonic:

Great film even if totally ungeeky with no useful information on the route itself!

Menage was my first grade V, back in '95 I think, we danced as well as those girls back then I reckon but didn't climb the route as well them.

Post edited at 16:38
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2019

Am I alone in having found that intensely irritating in almost every way? Or am I just a boring old fart? Mercifully brief.

Niall_H 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Am I alone in having found that intensely irritating in almost

> every way?

I'm going to venture a "Yes"   That was a fun video, and they seem to have climbed in fine style!

Post edited at 17:42
 rogerwebb 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Niall_H:

I thought it was superb. Caught it all.

In reply to rogerwebb:

>  Caught it all.

Really? There was hardly any climbing and half of that was irritatingly sped up. The rest was just silly prancing about!

rogerwebb 26 Jan 2019

I was remembering being young and enthusiastic rather than aged and jaded..

Have you seen 'living for the weekend'? (Glasgow Uni from the 90s I think) . Has the same feel. 

Post edited at 19:26
In reply to rogerwebb:

> Have you seen 'living for the weekend'? (Glasgow Uni from the 90s I think) . Has the same feel. 

Yes. It was very good. From what I remember it showed young, enthusiastic people going climbing and living the life which revolved around it. The silly posed prancing and in this film seems to have no connection at all with going climbing except with the pure contrivance of holding an axe - it adds nothing at all.

barry donovan 26 Jan 2019
In reply to rogerwebb:

Aged and jaded ? nah just . . .discerning.   

rogerwebb 26 Jan 2019

A bit similar to the prancing with ice axes I remember in various Glasgow flats in the late 70s early 80s. If we had the ability to make a film it probably would have featured.

In reply to rogerwebb:

> If we had the ability to make a film it probably would have featured.

Maybe, but hopefully with some authenticity completely lacking here.

TobyA 26 Jan 2019

There's plenty of dancing and partying in living for the weekend too, as well as chip supper eating and sped up footage of the A82. And a bangin' mid 90s techno soundtrack too.

vimeo.com/60151298

Haven't watched it for some years, nice to see lots of old friends' much younger faces in it!

But, yeah, you're just old and jaded. The Menage film shows that winter climbing with your mates can just be great fun.

In reply to TobyA:

> There's plenty of dancing and partying in living for the weekend too, as well as chip supper eating and sped up footage of the A82. And a bangin' mid 90s techno soundtrack too.

> vimeo.com/60151298

Yes, excellent - a classic. But to draw comparisons with this offering, simply padded out with awful "dancing", is ridiculous.

Patrick Roman 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Jasonic:

Well that’s a big thumbs up from me! Really enjoyed it, especially the dancing  Without wanting to sound too dark, dancing is something I lost completely after losing my partner in 2005, although recently my best friend’s two little girls have this unique talent of getting me to embarrass myself around their living room! I guess I often feel like I’m dancing when I’m climbing (or even training) but that’s really an internal thing.

So girls, keep on climbing and keep on being silly

Alex Messenger, BMC 27 Jan 2019

Hi everyone

This is just one entry into this year's BMC TV Women in Adventure Film competition.

If you liked it then check out some of the others:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/women-in-adventure-film-2019-entries

And if you didn't like it, well, have a look at some of the others too.

There's a prize for most watched, so if you find one that you like, then help the filmmaker by sharing it...

Post edited at 11:17
 Rick Graham 27 Jan 2019

> >  the rest was just silly prancing about!

Have you not been invited to a girly night in

I thought the film was excellent.

Multi layered in appeal and concept.

Even the climbing bits were quite good.

Robert Durran 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Have you not been invited to a girly night in

No, and if they're all as inane as that, I hope I never am.

> Multi layered in appeal and concept.

Good grief! Were you watching the same film as me?

> Even the climbing bits were quite good.

If it had been edited down to the thirty seconds or so of climbing (maybe forty if the annoyingly sped up bits were slowed down), it would have been ok I suppose.

Post edited at 14:59
 Drexciyan 27 Jan 2019

Nonetheless, good to see wider acceptance of relationships that challenge societal norms.

In reply to Drexciyan:

> Nonetheless, good to see wider acceptance of relationships that challenge societal norms.

If by that you mean women winter climbing together, then yes, of course, I agree.

Rich W Parker 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Some of those films are really great. The one in this post not though.

pollypoket 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Thanks for this very entertaining discussion about our film.

The only comment I can make is that this film is authentic! If you met us I think that might be clear. 

It says what days out like this feel/ mean to us. The prancing about is horrendous but it was fun to make! 

We had the footage from the route and just wanted to present something which to us felt fun, creative, approachable and energetic. The other films in the competition are much 'better' films probably but this one presents women doing slightly more technical climbing and is totally authentic in the manner we live/ climb/ hang out.

Happy climbing, dancing, prancing and moaning

In reply to Rich W Parker:

> Some of those films are really great. The one in this post not though.

Yes, had a browse and there are one or two gems.

Slarti B 28 Jan 2019

I am boring old fart as well and I listened with the sound off but....   

Nice mix of silly stuff and hard climbing, good reminder of standing belaying in crap Scottish conditions. They had fun but must have been serious.   

Nice...

Annabel Tall 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Jasonic:

Thank you, that really brightened up my day.  Great mix of fun and sheer joy with skilled climbing on a serious winter route.  Thumbs up from me.

Wee Davie 28 Jan 2019

> Am I alone in having found that intensely irritating in almost every way? Or am I just a boring old fart? Mercifully brief.

Oh bore off Robert.

Rick Graham 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Wee Davie:

> Oh bore off Robert.

He is entitled to his opinion.

Probably no point trying to change his mind either

flour 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Jasonic:

Brilliant

barry donovan 29 Jan 2019
In reply to pollypoket:

Love the helmet btw - looks like an alien 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...