Making your own pick weights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 14 Dec 2020

Anyone made their own pick weights with any success?  I'm loathed to spend £50 on four small bits of metal and two nuts and bolts.  Hints and tips welcome

crayefish 14 Dec 2020
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Just get yourself some 1990s Charlet Moser Quasars... I never have to worry about needing pick weights with mine

Otherwise is very simple engineering to make some... if you haven't got a Bridgeport, then a hacksaw/grinder, drill and file will allow you to make even the most complex of pick weights with ease.

OP Jamie Hageman 14 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

Haha, thanks.  I had a pair of the yellow Axars - they were a bit heavy.  The heaviest axes I've used were the Grivel Taakoons - about 750g per tool.

I just need to find some steel ingots to start with.  I have a drill, files and can probably source some decent bolts and locking nuts.

rogerwebb 14 Dec 2020

What kind of pick do you need weights for? 

An appropriately heavy nut, bolt and some studlock will do a basic job. 

You could always file the faces of a couple of old wires flush, grill and bolt or resin on. 

In reply to rogerwebb:

axes are Elite Climb Salamandras, but the normal Petzl weights fit apparently.

Presley, that's all good advice, but I really want something that fits well and is fairly flush and won't hold onto snow/ice.  It should also look good!

gethin_allen 14 Dec 2020

If you can find an old bit of roofing lead you could trim bits with snips to fit the holes in the back of the pick and then bolt them in place with a few small bolts and washers.

I fear this would be one of those jobs that by the time you get it right and finished, you will be rueing not putting your hand in your pocket. 

Pick weights are a ridiculous price mind. Make sure you locktite them in, they are prone to rattle out even when nylocks are used. I know to my expense. 

jkarran 14 Dec 2020

Assuming you have basic metalworking tools they would be very easy to make. Are they really useful/noticeable? At that price they look like money making bling for the chap who already has everything.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

The Salamandra axes are very light for a fully rated climbing tool - around 350g with my set up.  They are brilliant and a joy to use, but if they had an axtra little bit of weight in the head, they would have a perfect swing and feel.  Yes I may be being a tightarse, but I enjoy making things and it could be a fun little project to do in the tiny amount of spare time that I have.  Loctite is a good call Presley, thanks.

rogerwebb 14 Dec 2020

I think I have some you can have. I am working on Skye at the moment but will check the garage when I get back tomorrow night. 

jkarran 14 Dec 2020

> The Salamandra axes are very light for a fully rated climbing tool - around 350g with my set up.  They are brilliant and a joy to use, but if they had an axtra little bit of weight in the head, they would have a perfect swing and feel.

Don't get me wrong, I love making stuff too. I'm just a bit sceptical of manufactured problems with absurdly expensive commercial solutions.

Epoxy+shot in that big ellipsoidal hole, top of the pick would be quick and easy.

jk

In reply to rogerwebb:

Hey thanks Roger!  Yes please if you can find them.

In reply to jkarran:

Hello JK, I would liken the balance of ice tools to the balance and weight of tennis rackets - a small amount of weight and the distribution of it can make a world of difference to the swing and feel. 

Basemetal 14 Dec 2020

Lead is easy to melt on a camping stove in an old can for casting -from old fishing/diving/tyre  weights/air rifle pellets/roof lead etc. (Pellets are the most convenient). Just make sure your mould is dry and not too intricately shaped. An impression from your axe head would give you the right 'peg' size to fit an existing hole and profile then you can either drill holes through the weights for fixing or cast a bolt into one of the pair of weights.

It'll be a bit softer and bash up easier than commercial weights, but fun to make and you won't mind cutting bits off to tune the weight.

Removed User 14 Dec 2020

I use elite climbs. Have a word with the owner, he's mentioned producing elite's own, probably at a better price as per the picks.

In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

I have already been in touch with Jaroslaw at Elite Climb - he does make them but 60 euros a set plus postage, they are the same if not slightly more than the Petzls. 

I think I have a set of 90s pulsar headweights in the garage too, so let me know if rogwerwebb doesn’t have any

Post edited at 19:49
In reply to Andy Macpherson:

Thanks Andy, much appreciated!  It seems crazy to take a set of uber-light axes and add weight, but I think the swing/penetration can be slightly improved upon.

Andy Hardy 14 Dec 2020

Daft question, but if you're going to add weight to the axes, would swapping the picks for something beefier be an option? (If you must add weight, why not make it useful weight?)

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Not a daft question at all, and it did cross my mind to investigate other pick options, though I don't think even the beefiest of 4x4 picks would add 50g. 

TobyA 14 Dec 2020

I googled them - they are to quote the website "THE LIGHTEST CLIMBING AXES IN THE WORLD", their all caps, and you want to stick some old iron mongery on them?! I just don't think that's in the spirit of their carbon fibre sexiness! 

Removed User 15 Dec 2020

> I have already been in touch with Jaroslaw at Elite Climb - he does make them but 60 euros a set plus postage, they are the same if not slightly more than the Petzls. 

Yes fair enough. I get wanting to add them, as they do enforce good technique and if you let it lapse through fatigue etc they glance.

I mostly use the Raptors, and a new version has just arrived - even lighter. Jaroslaw does impressive work.

lithos 15 Dec 2020

pretty sure i have an unused set at home somewhere, ill have a look if roger doesn't find any

OP Jamie Hageman 15 Dec 2020
In reply to lithos:

Brilliant Lithos.  I must say everyone's being incredibly nice! (not that that should surprise me of course).  I might end up with several sets and be able to open a shop.

rogerwebb 15 Dec 2020

I found them. 

Send me your address and I'll stick them in the post. 

rogerwebb 16 Dec 2020

In the post 

OP Jamie Hageman 16 Dec 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Thank you Roger!  PM sent

Toerag 18 Dec 2020

I'd wrap lead wire around the head as a simple and easily reversed experiment to find the correct weight then make something permanent. Lead is soft and easy to cast in homemade moulds. Wheel balance weights are a relatively hard alloy, roofing lead is relatively soft. Don't breathe the fumes or work with anything damp.

OP Jamie Hageman 19 Dec 2020

Thanks all for your suggestions.  I was prepared to have a go at making my own pick weights, but thank goodness Roger Webb offered me his Petzl set - they fit perfectly and would have been very tricky to make from scratch to such a high finish and shape.  Thanks Roger!!!  The axes feel like they will be optimised for swing and penetration now.  Just waiting on good ice for a full test.

Reach>Talent 19 Dec 2020

How much weight do you want to add? 

Lead shot in epoxy, would be pretty easy, lead cast in a lost wax mould of the hole at the top of the shaft and then bolted in place could add a lot of weight. 

Do you want the weight to be easily removed on the hill or an 'at home with tools' job?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...