Low grade mountaineering routes around Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RedTar 24 Jan 2019

TLDR: Hoping for some recommendations for some low grade routes around Skye - more hiking and mountaineering than climbing.

---

My friend and I are coming for our fifth long weekend winter mountaineering in Scotland. We previously did a winter skills course on our first trip and have been exploring different bits of Scotland on each trip - Cairngorms, Glencoe, Fort William.

On our last trip we did the Ledge Route returning via the CMD, and the Ring of Steall (or 80% of it at least). As well as some easier stuff like on to Aonach Mor, etc.

We've got a climbing rack, but would probably prefer not to use it and keep to hiking / scrambling routes. Can bring if needed if a few bits need protection.

We're both really in to photography - so picturesque routes (even low ones) especially appreciated.

Haven't booked accommodation yet (I know it's late!) so if theres' suggestions for those too that would be great.

JLS 24 Jan 2019
In reply to RedTar:

I could be wrong but I rekon contidions are too fickle to say with much certainty whether on any given day a scrambling route would be in easy scramble condition or technical winter climbing epic condition.

From what you've said about avoiding technical climbing, just ticking Munro summits might be enough for you...

subtle 24 Jan 2019
In reply to RedTar:

Its not on Skye but nearby - Forcan Ridge is always good value, especially in winter - if you chose this then there is also the Five Sisters of Kintail, although to do the whole traverse in Winter you would need to be speedy - it can be broken down into chunk size bits though

Reports are that Skye covered in snow at present (although this will no doubt change quickly) so be careful if you do go over - one walk would be to go up/down Bruach na Frithe, no real technical difficulties and gets you into the middle of the ridge

Also worth a mention are the Red Cuillins - not as technically demanding yet still a worthy day (or two) out 

Or just head up to the The Quiraing, stunning and perhaps a better bet if it does get wintery

Enjoy your trip

In reply to RedTar:

I'm not sure how conditions are shaping up on Skye at the moment, but in theory you've loads of options. I'd hesitate to call some of them guaranteed rope-free, that really depends on a lot of factors. But here are some easy, sub grade II ideas...

Away from the main Cuillin, the traverse of Garbh-bheinn via the north ridge is a bit of a gem. You could add Belig too to make it a bigger day. 

You're not short of choice in the Cuillin. Although doing significant sections of the main ridge are liable to be beyond your preferred remit, several of the summits are a lot more achievable: 

Bruach na Frithe via the NW ridge would be a really good winter day out: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1208

Sgurr nan Eag via Coire a' Ghrunnda and then out to the southern end of the main ridge would be brilliant too, I'd guesstimate grade I but maybe a bit harder on the first bit of ascent from the coire, depending on the conditions

Alasdair via the Great Stone Chute (hopefully Great Neve Gully) - you might want a rope on the final ridge

Sgurr Dearg - maybe up via the An Stac screes, have a look at the In Pinn (just a look) and then back along the sw ridge

Sgurr na Banachdich west flank is known for being one of the easier (easiest?) ways up a major Cuillin, but expect plenty of scree...

PaulJepson 24 Jan 2019
In reply to RedTar:

I'm with subtle here. Skye is a bit sharp for easy routes so they're few and far between (other than popping up and down a munro). 

Your next natural stop after your others trips is Torridon. Lovely, tiered sandstone with tons of epic mountain ridge walks. 

There are fantastic **** grade I/II ridges and gullys all over the shop. The views are on par with Skye for photographs. Nothing like being at the top of a munro and seeing both the beasts of Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Beinn Alligin, etc. and also the sea. 

OP RedTar 24 Jan 2019

Thanks all - some fab suggestions here! Will have a google and plot on map.

Torridon has also been on our list to visit - so we could go there too. Epic ridge walks sound right up our street. We've got a car and are driving in from Inverness so aren't too tied to one location (until we book accommodation that is).

Michael Gordon 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

A great selection of easier options / shorter days. If the OP is keen for Skye and the weather looking reasonable, he should go for it.

Jasonic 25 Jan 2019
In reply to RedTar:

Torridon SYHA makes a good base- stacks of great ridge walks- many of the Munro rounds are grade I

Jim Fraser 27 Jan 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...