Looking for ice climbing partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex1977 17 Nov 2020

I want to go in February 2021 to do ice climbing in the Ben Nevis gullies for 3 days and need a partner.

I can lead climb up to grade 6. I have all equipment plus rope.  

It is my first ice climbing experience in Scotland but I have 10 years of experience in ice climbing in other countries. You can find more information about me on my website astoneadventures.com

I'm happy to lead if you only want to second.

I live in London so if you're from the south too i can give you a lift.

If you have any questions just ask!

Webster 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Alex1977:

i'll be amazed if the sturdragon lets you travel to scotland from the south of england this winter...

top cat 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Webster:

Yep, it's looking that way.  In fact unless you live in Fort Bill you're going to be stuffed.

I really hope I'm wrong about this.....

Darron 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Alex1977:

Anyone thinking of taking Alex up on his offer may (as Alex suggests) well want to check out the ‘experience’ section of his website.

acrkirby 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Alex1977:

Sorry I initially read this as can lead winter routes up to Grade VI, 6 but do you actually mean sport 6? 

Stating what grade of gully your looking for might help in your search, big difference between gully no. 3 and .5! Do you know what grade of European ice you climb?

beardy mike 19 Nov 2020
In reply to acrkirby:

And it might be useful to give an example of the type of routes you have climbed in the past and where - stating grade 6, well is that UIAA, WI, Scottish? I can assure you that climbing Scottish 6 is a very different experience to climbing WI6! As your experience on your website mainly lists what amount to easier mountaineering objectives albeit some of them in remote locations, if there is stuff missing it would be useful for potential partners to know what they are getting into before rolling up to a Scottish 6...

Tim Davies 19 Nov 2020
In reply to top cat:

Risking thread creep here but once the England restrictions are over what is there to stop you travelling through Glasgow etc to a lower level area and staying overnight ? 
I’ve not been able to find to prohibit it. 

veteye 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Darron:

Sgurr Nan Gillean. Interesting....

Rob Parsons 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

> Risking thread creep here but once the England restrictions are over what is there to stop you travelling through Glasgow etc to a lower level area and staying overnight ? 

> I’ve not been able to find to prohibit it. 

Scottish travel restrictions could prohibit that under law; indeed, that's the situation from 6pm this evening.

AymanC 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Alex1977:

Please seek a course with a mountain guide to assess your safety and general good practice. Don’t lead anyone up some Scottish winter route until you’re qualified.

Having seen you climb twice by chance I’m a bit worried by the fact that you’re putting yourself out there as a guide (even though not in a winter climbing capacity) 

Since you’ve been climbing a while it may be that you feel very confident but have diverged away from basic safety rules in climbing. 

thank you 

beardy mike 20 Nov 2020
In reply to AymanC:

To be fair to him, he hasn't said anything about guiding anybody so why would he need a qualification? Him agreeing to go climbing with someone for free there is absolutely no issue with. As for what you're implying, I suspect you're on the money... most people don't spray about how they can climb grade 6 whilst simultaneously offering to lead people who they've never met on that route. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone being like that if I were looking for a partner...

AymanC 20 Nov 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

You’re quite right. 
I should’ve said specifically that Alex should get more ‘qualified’ as he’s not ready to take anyone climbing, guiding or otherwise. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...