It was in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/derbyshire-climber...

It was in. 

Looks like their doing a conga up there.

🤣

CT

kevin stephens 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

“transformed into a demanding climbing wall ”

Yep they got that right

Groundhog 15 Feb 2021

Odd how sometimes it forms pure white and others it is peat stained. Down to previous rainfall patterns I suppose. Or maybe climate change is affecting the run off.

I would have thought there would have been some comments about covidiots

Maggot 15 Feb 2021

What's your local journalist doing up there taking pictures?

I can't imagine Clarkson legging it up from his  car park to report on frozen Rotherham falls.

Red Rover 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

Maybe the restoration work on the plateau has reduced the amount of peat in the stream? You would expect that as most of the work has been about reducing erosion by water.

Robert Durran 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

> I would have thought there would have been some comments about covidiots

There are

Cobra_Head 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> There are

Essential journey?

maybe_si 15 Feb 2021

I was up there on Saturday morning (walked from my house in Hayfield) and can confirm that conditions were phenomenal!  All gone now, feels like a warm Spring day out there today. 

mick taylor 15 Feb 2021

It’s articles like that make me so angry: heels too high, bums sticking out. FFSs dudes - what image are we giving!!  It’s the style police that should be out in force, not the Covid police. 

TechnoJim 15 Feb 2021

Got back to Sheffield this evening. I'm glad I've been stuck on Orkney otherwise this would have been another f***ing massive temptation I would have had to ignore.*sighs deeply*

McHeath 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Chive Talkin':

Never seen TPS looking as good as this before. E1, surely?! 

Post edited at 01:19
 TechnoJim 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

Sorry all, my last post came across really badly. A very frustrating winter for most here I'm sure. For clarity - I was stuck on Orkney for work, not pleasure, helping put generators in at the power station. At least I got to see the highlands this year, if only in passing!

Hope everyone is well and fingers crossed for next season x

Post edited at 07:40
 hpil 16 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

surely an opportunity for another downfall parody? Hitler rages against poor ice technique on Kinder Downfall and piss poor sensationalist reporting....

deepsoup 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

> Sorry all, my last post came across really badly.

Nah.  I don't think you need to worry about that, it really didn't.

Of course nobody thought you were on Orkney for a jolly, if you were you wouldn't have given the temptation of a quick nip out to Kinder a second thought.  I bet at least half the climbers there were from Sheffield.

> At least I got to see the highlands this year, if only in passing!

And the sea!  (I've really been missing the sea, though not all that much while it was so chilly.)

TechnoJim 16 Feb 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> And the sea!  (I've really been missing the sea, though not all that much while it was so chilly.)

I went in for a dip twice - very briefly both times. Atlantic side was cold, North Sea side was perishing. 

deepsoup 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

Wow, you really got your money's worth!

I'd make do with sitting on the beach with a cuppa, maybe skipping a few stones.  It's been a while since I went into the water in winter not wearing a drysuit and all the thermals underneath.  Such a wuss.

l21bjd 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> There are

The police appear to have responded to the comments:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/police-respond-claims-ice-...

TobyA 16 Feb 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> I bet at least half the climbers there were from Sheffield.

Possibly although for anyone who has done Kinder Downfall before and thought it wasn't that hard Masson Lees seems to have been the place to go last week for a rather fantastic looking bolt protected WI6!

I didn't go to either considering both Masson and Edale are about 25 minutes drive for me and that didn't seem likely to be "local", so am quite annoyed to read that Derbyshire police seems to have gone from proto-authoritarian thought-police to free-spirited libertarian hippies on the issue of travelling for exercise over the last month or so, well sort of anyway:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/police-respond-claims-ice-...

https://www.facebook.com/derbyshireconstabulary/photos/a.221324207999/10159...

Post edited at 12:24
 Lankyman 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

They were armed with pickaxes on a dangerous ice wall!!!!!

deepsoup 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

You're more conscientious than me, though I wouldn't contemplate a trip up to Kinder either. (Easy for me to say, I'm too nesh for winter climbing).  I've been driving about that far semi-regularly to start/finish a run away from my door for a change of scene (and to escape the crowds in the city parks).  It's been a bit of a bonus in a funny sort of a way that I've discovered some really beautiful bits of countryside outside the national park that I'd never previously been aware of.  Hopefully they'll remain quiet later in the year when the honeypots are all rammed again.

The tone of that facebook post seems about right to me* ("hippies" might be overstating things everso slightly).  I wonder if that trio from Manchester they say they nabbed in Hayfield were climbers planning to head up to the Downfall.  Too bad they didn't use their fancy drone to shoot some nice video footage to supplement those photos, it would have been equally pointless but much more interesting than people pottering about walking the dog.

* - Except that they keep saying "Peaks", that's just inexcusable obvs.

Post edited at 13:14
 TobyA 16 Feb 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> * - Except that they keep saying "Peaks", that's just inexcusable obvs.

Yeah, I noticed that too but am trying to be the bigger man and rise above such trifling affronts. I also did spend too long last night writing a very ranty facebook post, on a unconnected group, destroying - or so I would like to think - the idea of "windchill factors", for me an even bigger Bête noire than people saying "the Peaks". 

TheGeneralist 16 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> destroying - or so I would like to think - the idea of "windchill factors", for me an even bigger Bête noire than people saying "the Peaks". 

Oh thank god. I can't stand it when people start bleating on about windchill factors in a desperate attempt to make it more extreme..

"It was like minus 25 degrees windchill man, it was critical"

"Oh, naked were you..."

TobyA 17 Feb 2021
In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Oh thank god. I can't stand it when people start bleating on about windchill factors in a desperate attempt to make it more extreme..

Yep that's it exactly, or when people genuinely don't understand and say things like "why wasn't the turf frozen, it was -12 with the windchill factor?" Because it was +2 and raining and you choose to try going climbing in a gale.

My original ranty facebook post was as follows "one always has to quibble over windchill because its a pretty pointless figure mainly beloved by lazy tabloid headline writers who don't get the difference between what the temperature ACTUALLY is and some pretty arbitrary but much more impressive sounding number when you're trying to impress some girl/guy at a dinner party. A figure that gets slapped on the actual temperature by people too dense to realise the unbelievably obvious fact that you'll cool down faster if it's windy than if it's not. Wow - science! Get naked, cut a hole in a lake and jump in - then you claim a "feels like factor" of -237 degrees or whatever you fancy and that will really impress that girl/guy at the dinner party - just hope they don't ask you what happened to your testes when you jumped in to that hole in the lake. Is it a small hill? And am I ready to die on it? Yes and yes. But "windchill factor" was the meteorological equivalent of a bullsh!tting politician spouting fake news long before any orange bag of human puss had descended the golden elevator of sh!t to even announce his run for the presidency. Gosh - it feels better to get it off my chest."

Post edited at 11:00
 Duncan Beard 17 Feb 2021

Next time I'm winter climbing I'll have to keep reminding myself it's all about balance!

Sadly I was so afraid of being nicked I didn't even drive 20 miles to Wildboar Clough to take a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...