Is Kinder in ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Anderson 04 Dec 2020

Winter wouldn't be winter on ukclimbing, whatever the travel restrictions, without the inevitable query on Kinder conditions.... 

Clauso 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Neil Anderson:

Is it that time again, already?... May as well roll this back out too:

youtube.com/watch?v=zGq-3TlswZs&

olddirtydoggy 04 Dec 2020

There was slight condensation on the aluminium door threshold in my house this morning, could mean it's in.

TechnoJim 04 Dec 2020

Snowing outside my window in Sheffield this morning, I'm busy sharpening my crampons right now.

tehmarks 04 Dec 2020

Bugger. You beat me to it!

Deletes other thread.

Post edited at 13:23
 rola 04 Dec 2020

We did Wilderness Gulley East yesterday and I can assure you that the conditions were rather moist as opposed to frozen despite a very thin covering of snow on the tops !

We didn't know which to tick in the Logbook so clicked Summer ... as it wasn't frozen but certainly didn't feel much like summer !

Post edited at 13:31
 L.A. 04 Dec 2020
In reply to rola:. Snowing hard and 1c near Buxton 

ianstevens 04 Dec 2020

You can bet you bottom dollar someone will be out with crampons and axes ripping up unfrozen, unconsolidated Eryri gullies this weekend. 

mrphilipoldham 04 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

There was a chap bearing an axe and in crampons on Facebook earlier, thankfully just on Pyg Track.. but 'awesome conditions' were to be had allegedly!

ianstevens 04 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I despair! Powder snow is running shoe terrain, not B3s and crampons... 

mrphilipoldham 04 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Yep.. planning on a skip over Heptonstall Moor in mine in a bit!

rsc 04 Dec 2020

Several inches of snow on Kinder northern edge today, but only just freezing. The ground was still wet. Snake Pass was closed by the time we got back to the car, with an artic sideways across it- fortunately by the Ladyclough car park so we could get by. 

Barrington 05 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> There was a chap bearing an axe and in crampons on Facebook earlier, thankfully just on Pyg Track.. but 'awesome conditions' were to be had allegedly!

Brave Dave?

Mark Bannan 09 Dec 2020
In reply to Clauso:

> Is it that time again, already?... May as well roll this back out too:

Guffaw!

That's the first time I've seen this version, although I have seen the clip used for sundry other (usually political purposes).

Billhook 10 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

I've noticed a vast increase over the years, in people wearing crampons the minute they encounter  newly fallen or soft snow  in the hills.

But maybe thats just because there are more people going out ??

d_b 24 Jan 2021

It snowed in Bristol overnight which means that everything in the peak, beacons and snowdonia are definitely in. There was a frost yesterday too so clearly sustained.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...