Ice Climbing in Estonia - Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oscaig 17 Feb 2021

Any Baltic-based UKC'ers know if any of the Estonian quarries or sea cliffs are iced up/in decent ice climbing condition currently?  Thinking about a trip to investigate this weekend, but wasn't sure if the last few weeks of consistently sub-zero conditions had actually been cold enough to see routes forming? I know there have been historical discussions here on Estonia ice, but any advice or pointers gratefully received as have not yet swung a tool in anger here (last winter being a wet and mild total wash-out).  Cheers  

[Disclaimer for UK readers - all plans are OK within current national COVID restrictions/guidance] 

HeMa 17 Feb 2021
In reply to oscaig:

If there is a location, I'm sure the conditions are fine.

I recall there might be some embarkments near Narva, but I don't really know any better.

Perhaps asking the peeps at ronimisministeerium if they have any local ice climbing places.

Afaik generally Estonians have taken the ferry to Funland... but it ain't possible now due to the Covid19.

joeramsay 17 Feb 2021
In reply to HeMa:

funland sounds nice

HeMa 17 Feb 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

> funland sounds nice

it really aint... but the ice is nice about now, short though but nice.

These two are less than an hour from the ferry terminal
https://www.instagram.com/p/BB69YJnDdxV/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEtz-vFjd8F/

This one takes a bit longer (11h or so )
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrFWJ1mFvCs/

Post edited at 14:43
OP oscaig 17 Feb 2021
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks HeMa, we'll make some local enquries too.  Cool images - the pillar on your second image looks somewhat 'entertaining' (i.e. steep & horribly brittle ice)!  As you say, 'Funland' is currently pretty much off limits for the immediate future       

Cheers,

HeMa 17 Feb 2021
In reply to oscaig:

> the pillar on your second image looks somewhat 'entertaining' (i.e. steep & horribly brittle ice)!

Actually it’s a freehanging dagger. The pillar is about a meter to the side under the mini roof. So the transition from the pillar on to the dagger is indeed entertaining, as you apptly put it.

TobyA 17 Feb 2021
In reply to oscaig:

Have you got any Estonian climbing contacts? I remember seeing some lovely looking pictures of fat ice over sandy sea cliffs I think it was some years ago. When I lived in Helsinki I remember thinking that it might be worth a trip over, but I can't remember where I saw the pictures now - sorry.

OP oscaig 20 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby, had a bit of a wander round the coast today found some ice today plastering the sandy sea cliffs at Ilmandu not far outside Tallinn.  Unfortunately just in time for a bit of a thaw that has set in.   But useful intel for the next cold snap (or next winter). 

Cheers 

TobyA 21 Feb 2021
In reply to oscaig:

Does Estonia use the Euro now? I guess it must, but anywsu, on one of the old Kruuna (? "Crown") banknotes the picture was of steep sea cliffs above a stormy Baltic. I never did find out where the picture was meant to be, but it seemed odd that I had met a few Estonian climbers by then who had come over to Finland to climb, who assured us there was no natural climbing in Estonia. This was before people started bouldering on those impressive looking glacial erratics I've since seen topo guides to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...