Ice climbing in artic Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drgrange 11 Feb 2022

For those looking for an alternative to the usual venues like Rjukan, Congne, Hemesdal etc I can highly recommend Senja and the local fixer/ guide/ host Bent Vidar Eilertsen (Senja Lodge). The scenery is bite the back of your hand beautiful with quality lines everywhere you look. Lots of which are unclimbed. So far! 

last day tomorrow. Will miss it

Mr Messy 12 Feb 2022
In reply to drgrange:

Yes have a look at the weekly top 10 photos No.2 that was us from our second trip. On our first trip we dug a 15m tunnel to complete one route. Very very memorable adventures with Simon, John and Gareth. 

Jeff Ingman 12 Feb 2022
In reply to drgrange:

Sounds great, did you fly to Tromso? If so, how did you connect to Senja Lodge?

Thanks..... Jeff

Mr Messy 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

this is not answering your question really but we got a hire car from Tronso for the 4hr drive. It meant we could drive around to different locations. We had our own accommodation on the island but did call into the lodge to share a drink and condition beta.

Jeff Ingman 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Mr Messy:

Good information, thanks for that.... Jeff

OP drgrange 12 Feb 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

I rarely check ukc but will pick up emails if anyone wants to ask questions. I got your email Jeff and will reply to that

To answer your firsts questions in case anyone else reading wants to know… yes to Tromso but you can shorten the car journey by a couple of hrs now that the ferry runs in winter. Check it is actually running though as it stops in high winds

Jeff Ingman 13 Feb 2022
In reply to drgrange:

Thanks for the info, did you fly direct to Tromso, maybe from Gatwick?

Thanks..... Jeff

OP drgrange 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Yes we did. But had do a connection in Oslo on the return leg. Cheers, David 

olddirtydoggy 04 Mar 2022
In reply to drgrange:

Just finished a great week in rjukan and wondering what next. What are the temps like up there, I'm  guessing they are pretty low.

Tom F Harding 04 Mar 2022
In reply to drgrange:

Shhhhh! Don't tell everyone!  

..but yes, I can't agree more. Its absolutely stunning up there with virtually unlimited things to get on. We went out of frustration after a few years of washed out Scottish trips. With no real guide book, potentially very serious Arctic weather and complex snow conditions it's well worth spending your first day driving around finding suitable objectives - it can feel pretty out there at times!

Post edited at 20:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...