Ice climbing combined with good skiing in Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Dear All

We are trying to plan a Spring holiday in Europe with good skiing for my family along with good ice climbing for me.  We'd also like to be able to drive it from southern England.  We've looked at loads of places with good skiing but they don't seem to have much ice.

I've suggested Scotland but my wife wants longer and more extensive runs!  Any suggestions please?

DaveHK 06 Nov 2022
In reply to stephan harrison:

> I've suggested Scotland

Seriously, don't do that. Unless there's a miracle you'll all be disappointed.

I'd say the Aosta area fits the bill. Edit: as below, depends what you mean by spring.

Post edited at 19:55
 philipjardine 06 Nov 2022

in recent years valley ice climbing in the Alps has really been a jan/feb activity.  If by spring you mean march/April you are more likely to have to go into high mountains with all the problems that entails.

Doug 06 Nov 2022

maybe not for spring (however you define that) but somewhere like Puy Saint Vincent for skiing with ice climbing nearby at eg Fournel, Fressiniere, etc might be an option in February.

Thanks all for your answers.  I'll have a look again.  I guess the big problem is that my family will want to go at Easter skiing, which might be too late for ice in the valleys. 

LakesWinter 06 Nov 2022

Easter is too late for valley ice in the Alps and always has been really. Dec - Feb is the main season with sometimes good conditions into March in higher and more reliable areas. I'd just go and enjoy the skiing myself or go in February, in which case the Aosta area suggestion is a good one.

Suncream 06 Nov 2022

I guess Chamonix might work if icy alpine gullies are a substitute for waterfall ice

Alpe d'Huez fits the bill but as other have said, ice is unlikely to be good by Easter.

Hemsedal is likely to be a better option but harder to drive to Scandinavia of course.

Toby_W 07 Nov 2022

I'd consider round Briancon though we normally stay a jot further south in L'Argentiere La Bassee or up in Valloise.  You have the Fournel valley Freissinieres valley next door, Ceillac a little further south.  Good skiiing all round.

Cheers

Toby

wjcdean 07 Nov 2022

sounds like you are going a bit late for ice, I'd have thought Jan/Feb/maybe early March are much safer. But FWIW Briancon has excellent ice climbing within an hour drive (we only did easyish stuff because i am lump, but the left and right branches of Holiday on Ice at Ceillac are super at WI3) and you have the serre chevalier ski area on your doorstep which is huge.

Otherwise you could do aoste in which case you have Pila within an hour drive which is a really nice littel ski resort, although if you are good skiers you will get it all done in a couple of days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...