Ice climbing by train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjdodd 04 Oct 2019

With messages starting to pop up asking about the upcoming ice climbing season I am starting to get the itch again.  Fingers crossed for a good UK season but for the last few years I have gone abroad to guarantee conditions.  But I have now decided to cut out air travel and had decided this would probably mean no more overseas ice climbing.

But...  any ideas of good destinations that are relatively easily reachable by train.  Obviously I still need to sort out transport when there but can worry about that later (chances are I will go guided in any case so will use their transport).

First thought is La Grave.

LakesWinter 04 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

Train to Milan is pretty easy, hire a car and go to cogne

tjhare1 04 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

There is a night train (day trains too) direct from Paris to Briancon, from which you could access Fournel / Fressinieres / Ceillac / La Grave.

mutt 04 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

> With messages starting to pop up asking about the upcoming ice climbing season I am starting to get the itch again.  Fingers crossed for a good UK season but for the last few years I have gone abroad to guarantee conditions.  But I have now decided to cut out air travel and had decided this would probably mean no more overseas ice climbing.

Fantastic ... well done

> But...  any ideas of good destinations that are relatively easily reachable by train.  Obviously I still need to sort out transport when there but can worry about that later (chances are I will go guided in any case so will use their transport).

But of course Ben Nevis is right on the sleeper service from London. Train stops a Roybridge 200 yds from the Riasg CC hut https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/venues/riasg-roybridge/. Easy hitch to the north face car park or hook up with climbers in the hut.  Could not be simpler.

Matt

OP tjdodd 04 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

Cheers for replies so far.  Plenty of things to think about.

Work is more flexible this year so it might be the year to try for more in Scotland as I might be able to get there more than in previous years to catch the good conditions.  I can also scare myself on mixed climbs instead of waterfall ice as well.  I am sure it will be good for my soul.

phizz4 04 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

I believe that you can get a train to Aosta, then the bus to Cogne. Regular buses from Cogne to Lillaz.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...