I will never complain about the hot aches again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kalna_kaza 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Surely the only scenario where one's appendage becomes less stiff when blood rushes to it.

veteye 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Reynaud's Phenomenon in the penile member? That's one club that I don't want to join.

Has Remi Lindholm been circumcised, as that may not have helped.

angry pirate 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

"leading to his penis becoming frozen for the second time in a cross-country skiing race"

I think that after the first time, I'd have invested in some extra warm pants tbh.

tehmarks 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Cocking hell.

In reply to angry pirate:

I think I might have found another sport...

OP Andy Hardy 20 Feb 2022

+1. It was the "second time" bit that made me realise the difference between steel eyed Olympians and blokes who'd rather have a working todger

E2A: I'm in the 2nd group, obviously

Post edited at 21:46
 Misha 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

You mean steel balled?

Darkinbad 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Avoiding tissue damage during rewarming is essential in cases like this. Recommended treatment is to insert the peccant member into a soft, appropriately-shaped receptacle at exactly body temperature.

TobyA 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I know it's very funny and all that, but you don't cure frost bite with a heat pack! It wasn't really frost bitten I'm sure or he would have been in hospital, not amusing journos. I remember in one of my first winters in Helsinki doing a pretty epic XC ski around the city - in good winters there are ski tracks all over the place and you rarely have to take your skis off, maybe to cross the odd road, but most of the pedestrian bridges have ski tracks going over them so even that's rare. Anyway, I got a very cold end of the little fella'. All was fine by the next morning although it was an odd feeling. Particularly if you are skiing skate style, you are opening your legs which means basically, your crotch is pretty much exposed. A number of the Nordic brands do or did pants of different designs, made of base layer material but with windproof material on them too. I ended up buying light nylon windproof over trousers, TNF actually, which I used for many years after, normally over fleece trousers on cold days. That worked fine down to -20 or so. Obviously you wouldn't want to race in them though! Not very aero.

Post edited at 23:36
 angry pirate 21 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA:

You need some of these bad boys:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Clothing-Footwear/Technical-Clothing...

Probably the only bit of buffalo kit I never tried (though I did own a pair of their frankly awful pertex boxers with the velcro closure)

Kalna_kaza 21 Feb 2022

> You need some of these bad boys:

A refreshingly honest description!

ablackett 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Why on Earth don’t these folk wear more clothes? Shortening the race to 30km with all of them setting off in one piece Lycra?!? Get them to stick a coat on (and some warm pants) and keep the race at 50km is surely a better solution.

In reply to Darkinbad:

> Avoiding tissue damage during rewarming is essential in cases like this. Recommended treatment is to insert the peccant member into a soft, appropriately-shaped receptacle at exactly body temperature.

If you mean what I think you mean, I should imagine that 'insertion' of that kind would not be happening.

AndyC 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I seem to remember there is a classic bit in David Niven's autobiography where he had a similar experience. The recommended cure was immersion of the affected part in cognac.

yorkshireman 21 Feb 2022
In reply to ablackett:

> Why on Earth don’t these folk wear more clothes? 

It's a bit like cycling - you generate extremes of heat in the core and need flexibility of motion but you're exposed to the wind and obviously much more extreme elements - I hate XC skiing in anything other than thick running tights, base layers and a gilet which has meant that like TobyA I've fallen prey to the frozen todger before now (nothing extreme, just very uncomfortable). I'm lucky though as I'm in France and think the coldest I've skate skied in is around -18c but I had the benefit I could just give up pretty quickly and go home. I think the windchill in China was a hugely contributing factor (which is why they were all wearing tape on their faces).

Slight aside but one of the local XC skiers in my village here in France won two silvers (relay and mixed relay) in these Games. I always remind myself of stuff like that when I get easily overtaken on our local tracks.

Doug 21 Feb 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

> ... I always remind myself of stuff like that when I get easily overtaken on our local tracks.

recently discovered that the young girl who regularly skates past me as if I'm not moving has been selected for the French team for the winter youth olympics next month.

Doesn't explain all the others though...

TobyA 21 Feb 2022

I don't know where they got to, but back in the 90s when I worked in outdoor shop in Glasgow, I got a pair. I was a big fan of Buffalo gear and sold a lot of it as a result. Buffalo might have sent them to me as a gift, or maybe my colleagues ordered them in for me as a laugh. I think I did try them on once but never again and definitely not out on the hill! I wonder if anyone ever has?

Buffalo also made Pertex boxers, which while looking a bit better don't sound much more comfy.

CantClimbTom 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> A refreshingly honest description!

I wonder how many years those have been sitting in stock at Needlesports, will the staff celebrate if they're ever sold?

angry pirate 21 Feb 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I had the boxers. At the time they were the only quick drying underkecks out there but were almost unbelievable unpleasant to wear. They closed with Velcro and were blisteringly expensive at the time.

I didn't buy them, I think they were a gift.

kipper12 21 Feb 2022
In reply to AndyC:

> I seem to remember there is a classic bit in David Niven's autobiography where he had a similar experience. The recommended cure was immersion of the affected part in cognac.

Flambé?

Jim Lancs 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Years ago, compiling a 'group order' for clothing from the Helly Hansen catalogue was an autumnal ritual. (Bit like the Field and Trek order in that getting together with all your mates to compile a mass order was the only way of getting any discount).

The Helly Hansen trade catalogue had all sorts of items that never appeared on the shelves in our local Harry Robinson's climbing shop including men's winter Lifa Underwear with windproof patches at the front. Oh how we laughed about Norwegian blokes and their obviously over sensitive willies. That is until our first winter ski expedition to Sweden in brutally cold conditions. Those patches are there for a reason.

top cat 21 Feb 2022

Many times I have had to stuff my spare hat in the appropriate spot when XC skiing.   It really is an issue to be taken seriously.....

AndyC 21 Feb 2022
In reply to top cat:

Think I'm going to patent the neoprene condom. Possibly a deluxe electrically heated version. The top of the range item will come with additional 'enhancements'

top cat 21 Feb 2022
In reply to AndyC:

I'm in.....)

AndyC 21 Feb 2022
In reply to top cat:

Size? I reckon the smallest will be XXL and go up from there. Gotta leverage the male ego!

barbeg 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

The guy really needs to get a grip and take matters in hand.....

Kalna_kaza 21 Feb 2022
In reply to barbeg:

> The guy really needs to get a grip and take matters in hand.....

or perhaps a stroke of luck.

Alkis 21 Feb 2022
In reply to AndyC:

Integrated avalanche transceiver. Buzzes when it's on.

wercat 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

a webcam shorely?

In reply to AndyC:

> Gotta leverage the male ego!

I think the term is 'massage'...

Greenbanks 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Jim Lancs:

>on the shelves in our local Harry Robinson's climbing shop<

Ah, that takes me back!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...