Highland roads query - from the east to Glen Shiel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Planning to head to Glen Shiel 1st thing tomorrow

Has anyone driven these routes today...?

Garve - Achnasheen - Strathcarron - Shiel Bridge

Beauly - Drum - Invermoriston - Shiel Bridge

Both potentially iffy if snowy/icy, but perhaps they've been cleared and gritted. I don't much fancy Kiltarlity-Drum if it's not clear-ish, but the other way has hair raising potential too of course. Prefer to get my kicks on the hills (and actually get there in reasonable time)

Could always play it safe via Inverness I guess.

Thanks 

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

From the local facebook group from about noon today:

Does anyone know what road conditions are like over Culnakirk to Kiltarlity today?

My mum did it this morning says it wasn’t that bad and

Not too bad... just take it easy

In reply to Dan Bailey.

I just drove from Gairloch to Glasgow today. No problems with snow on road but BEWARE of potholes. Some nasty ones between Garve and Achnasheen. One horror got me on the A9 near Newtonmore so had to drive the rest of the way on my 50 mph spare. Hope you have snow shoes or skis - there is a lot of snow about!  Tomorrow looks like a lovely day before it all goes downhill from Saturday

In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

thanks, that's useful

Enjoy your day out I' l be hunting a new alloy wheel as well as tyre! I love Torridon area but Kintail has always been my favourite place for winter hillwalking.

Mike-W-99 19 Jan 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thanks for that , I reported a horror at drumochter a couple of years ago to Bear and to their credit it got repaired pretty quickly.

Unavoidable wade somewhere off the A835 and northwards for us , shovels & snowshoes packed.

mchardski 20 Jan 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - 

Although I'm not around at present to know the road conditions, I'd always plump for Achnasheen given that choice and even more so if dody road conditions

Achnasheen road was fine this morning except for nearly spinning out on the only patch of ice (bridge at tight bend in Glen Carron). Came back via Inverness to drop my pal at the station.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cracking day to be out but we could really do with a thaw and refreeze to bed down some of the incredible amounts of  snow. Forcan Ridge was like the Andes. 

Post edited at 19:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...