Hemsedal advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 06 Sep 2022

First off, thanks to members here who helped me out with my thread on Rjukan a year back, the info was spot on and the trip delivered beyond expectations. This season we're looking at Hemsedal and I'm after some more help.

I was out climbing with a friend of mine a couple of weeks back and he mentioned caution when it comes to Rjukan grades. We did notice in areas with heavy climbing traffic in Rjukan, the routes are easier when they become 'stepped out' and the axes makes that confident thud rather than the sound of a hammer smashing a sheet of glass in the more remote areas.

So I was wondering how Hemsedal would compare? Are we talking areas with longer walk ins and fewer routes with harder/glassy ice? Could we stay busy on pure ice there for 5 days or is it worth taking a mixed climbing rack?

Does anyone have a copy of Hemsedal ice (2013) going spare that we could buy off you?

Do you have any other advice that might be of use?

Many thanks to the members of this fine forum.

alexm198 07 Sep 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I have a copy of the book (bought a while back but haven’t got round to going yet). I don’t want to sell it but I’d be happy to send it to you for your trip if you promise to send it back!

OP olddirtydoggy 07 Sep 2022
In reply to alexm198:

I was beginning to wonder if my thread would get any replies. Your offer is very generous and I'm extremely greatful for you taking time out to help. We're out for 7 days with 2 climbing pairs and I'd be concerned that the book might get a bit dog eared if the paper got wet as they often do, even when taking extra care.

That said, your offer is an option so if we get stuck and nothing shows up, we can come over and borrow it off you. Thank you very much, a true gentleman!

alexm198 07 Sep 2022

That would be totally fine—it’s always embarrassing to have guidebooks that look like they’ve never seen some action anyway! 

Just drop me an email nearer the time if you do want to borrow it. 

c357 07 Sep 2022

The outdoor shops in hemsedal usually have lots of stock. Great place, some of the routes have slightly longer walk ins, but I do think it’s better than rjukan as routes aren’t just all together in a long line. The ice is obv conditions dependent so can be the same as rjukan, just less hooks. Although likely that the more popular routes are hooked a bit. For rack it depends what you want to do. Could easily do a week of ice, or there’s a lot of mixed routes if you’re happy to do a bit of walking. Snow shoes available for hire in town. 

Bottom Clinger 12 Sep 2022

Hemsedale will feel more serious.  Done a few routes there, Vollokula felt top end 4 (probably 5 tbh, first section plum vertical).  Good routes around Haugfossen (some photos on here, search Jamie Simpson). Gol is nearby, well worth a day or two, short routes but they pack a lot in, not much easy stuff.

OP olddirtydoggy 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Thanks for that, it pretty much confirmed my expectations. We found Rjukan quite easy and with a couple of easy routes behind us we should be OK at Hemsedal. We do have a second pair of climbers with us however who have only had a bit of Scot winter behind them. Many thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...