Haslingden, Hutch Bank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 13 Feb 2021

Walked past today, looked like an Ice Fall to me. Im not an Ice climber, but just saying.

Albert Tatlock 13 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

I’ll lend you some axes and crampons 

Ian Parsons 13 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Is that where The Bells! The Bells! is?

J1234 13 Feb 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

As far as I am aware there are no routes there.

Ian Parsons 13 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

No, I'm wrong; I got my wires crossed with a mistaken novel reference. I was thinking of Victor Hugo - The Hutch Bank of Notre-Da....

Er, sorry!

J1234 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> No, I'm wrong; I got my wires crossed with a mistaken novel reference. I was thinking of Victor Hugo - The Hutch Bank of Notre-Da....

> Er, sorry!

You should be, here is your Hat and Coat, please shut the door as you leave.

Martin Bennett 14 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Really? How tall? How steep? It's private no public right of way, right? Walked through it not long ago though. Might be too far for me to walk an not an excuse to use car though.

Off in a minute to see if the wee fall in Mean Brook has frozen. Only a mile or so from home. 

J1234 14 Feb 2021
 Martin Bennett 14 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Done the Clough Head to Troy stroll a million times Steve, and sometimes back through Hutch Bank (or should that be Hunchback? - loved that comment!) but to me no unnecessary travel means just that. Had to buy a battery conditioner to keep our vehicles starting when essential!

I did hump my ice tools and crampons to the waterfall I mentioned but it wasn't quite climbable - another couple of days and nights would have brought it in I think but now we have rain from the South East - be gone tomorrow.

J1234 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Yes, temperature has risen it will be gone. TBH you can see that Ice fall as you drive over the Ski slope road, I cannot imagine no one has climbed it, in the past.

Gavin 15 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Funny this should come up as a topic.  I walked in on Sunday to take some pictures and it was melting nicely, but still some thick ice on it in places.  There is no offcial access to the quarry, but also no perimeter fence either...  Parking on the access road, just before the first gate, which I have seen locked in the past, isn't an issue.  15mins from car to climb.

Martin - I'd not considered Mean Brook before.  Have you ever looked at the waterfalls behind Calf Hey Res?...

Martin Bennett 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Gavin:

> Funny this should come up as a topic.  I walked in on Sunday to take some pictures and it was melting nicely, but still some thick ice on it in places.  There is no offcial access to the quarry, but also no perimeter fence either...  Parking on the access road, just before the first gate, which I have seen locked in the past, isn't an issue.  15mins from car to climb.

> Martin - I'd not considered Mean Brook before.  Have you ever looked at the waterfalls behind Calf Hey Res?...

Mean Brook proved to be a case of "so near but yet . . . . " Gavin.

All the steps had ice but it would have taken a couple of days more to bring them "in" for climbing so a very long cold spell is evidently required. I haven't been to look at the bits you mention above Calf Hey in Winter - had it in mind, and it is walkable from home - about 5 miles I'd think and was not far away a few days ago up on Hoddleden Moss.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...