Google Map G1 Gully/SAIS overlay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigJuicy 07 Mar 2022

Hi,

Thought this might be useful to others starting their winter climbing career.

Its a Google map I made showing grade 1 gullies and an approximate/indicative overlay of the SAIS avalanche report areas. I say approximate overlay as I had to draw it by hand and rushed it a bit....use at your own risk or double check your happy it sufficiently matches the map on  the SAIS website.

Click on a blue marker to show the location name and look at the text to show the gullies on offer there. The page numbers reference "Scottish Winter Climbs" - The SMC climbers guide.

The idea is it speeds up the planning process...check avalanche forecast and see where you wanna go, look at the map for options in your chosen location, review in the Scottish winter climb handbook to make a decision.

Feedback for improvements welcome.

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1gYY2tt8LvtbwsCWvv7nO9g3Qlad77UrH&...

DaveHK 07 Mar 2022
In reply to BigJuicy:

Sounds interesting.

The link doesn't work for me, it says I don't have permission?

Post edited at 19:30
In reply to DaveHK:

Ditto.

OP BigJuicy 07 Mar 2022

Try that now.

I've set the map so anyone with this link can view. Also, just been playing on my Samsung s9 and it looks better if you switch it to desktop site view.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1gYY2tt8LvtbwsCWvv7nO9g3Qlad77UrH&am...

Post edited at 20:20
 ScraggyGoat 07 Mar 2022
In reply to BigJuicy:

Potentially useful would also be a list of close by  ‘Plan B’ ridges and easy buttresses, so that you have good alternative options already in mind, and don’t become fixated on gullies.

You may also like to consider that the avalanche risk is seldom a uniform. With the risk commonly (but not always) being related to certain aspects and elevations, depending predominantly on the preceding wind direction, availability of snow for transport and subsequent temperature variations.

Consequently while the ‘headline’ risk might be high, it’s possible for individual gullies to be safe and in good nick, or alternatively the headline risk low but one side of the sheltered exit bowl of a gully a significant hazard/threat even when the gully itself is stripped/solid ; ‘Where is the snow blowing from and where is it blowing to’.

So the aspect of the gullies (and their approach/exit slopes), and the most logical descent slopes/ routes would be valuable to add.

In reply to BigJuicy:

Apparently Chrome is an unsupported browser.

OP BigJuicy 08 Mar 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

That is some very insightful feedback, thanks....Good points well made.

Aspects of gullies is easy to include in the notes, will be making that update.

The approach/exit slopes and descent slopes/routes is quite a big job potentially so I think I'll do that bit by bit as part of the planning process. So, when planning a clomb the night before and I think a gully is on, I'll check these factors as due diligence and, update the notes with the info...whether it turns out to be a viable option or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...