Gone Tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 27 Jan 2021

... On Amazon Prime. 

It's an amazing film about ice climbing in Kentucky. The enthusiasm is infectious, watch it! 

TobyA 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I've found it although it was oddly tricky to find it on my Prime Video! Will watch later. Thanks. I remember reading about Southern Ice in the past and it seemed delightfully esoteric. I have a bit of fascination with Appalachia - currently reading Hillbilly Elegy and am a "Justified" completist (twice), along with lots of more serious stuff about the opioid epidemic, white supremacy and radical leftist politics in that region, so mixing that with ice climbing - another enduring fascination has to be a winner!

TechnoJim 27 Jan 2021

Great film, those guys are brilliant. Plenty of parallels with Scottish winter climbing too.

angry pirate 27 Jan 2021

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll watch it when I get a min.

PaulJepson 27 Jan 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

You mean all the booze and ephemeral conditions? 

TechnoJim 27 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Certainly the line about 'taking your tools for a walk' struck a chord (I might be paraphrasing slightly, it's been a couple of weeks since I saw it).

TobyA 27 Jan 2021

Watched it now - very good. 

Somewhat reminiscent of the ice climbing I used to do in Finland, although the season there was generally longer and more reliable - but lots of crashing around in the forests going to check out "possibles"! We had the cops come and watch us and got spoken to by airport security at one road cut spot also, although it was on the road at the end Helsinki-Vantaaa international airport runway, so perhaps even more obvious than on some highway cut!

Of course it wasn't a documentary about the collapse of working class communities in contemporary Appalachia, or the opioid crisis, or whatever - but there was still one random shot of a guy with an AR15, and I did think it was interesting what they were saying about how in the quarry, in the summer there was a homeless encampment there! The size of the homelessness problem in the US is shocking, and obviously affects rural Kentucky as well as cities all over the country. 

Post edited at 21:44

OP Baron Weasel 27 Jan 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Cool photo  

Removed User 27 Jan 2021

Pretty sure it was on the BMFF circuit a few years back.

Thanks ! I enjoyed that !

Exile 28 Jan 2021

A good watch. Thanks for that.

nniff 28 Jan 2021

I enjoyed it too - thoroughly honest and not an 'athlete' or Red Bull helmet in sight.

I empathise with 'taking the tools for a walk'

ColdWill 29 Jan 2021

no its not, do not watch this film;

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3899070/

mark turnbull 29 Jan 2021

was a good watch , cheers for that . 

nigel n 30 Jan 2021
In reply to nniff:

Yes, excellent recommendation.  And like you say not an "athlete" on sight

Post edited at 08:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...