Getting to an ice route with a deep plunge pool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheelba 28 Feb 2018

Any bright ideas on how to do this without getting very wet and cold? I can think of a few but none are 'crampon friendly'

John Ww 28 Feb 2018
In reply to sheelba:

From above?

OP sheelba 28 Feb 2018
In reply to John Ww:

Good point, feels a bit like cheating though and doesn't fit with the route below

mick taylor 28 Feb 2018
In reply to sheelba:

You need the equivalent of the Avalanche Poodle - some brave, stupid and dispensable climbing partner to set off and test the water, so to speak.

The Plunge Pooldle  !!

Post edited at 21:16
 john arran 28 Feb 2018
In reply to sheelba:

Paddle board?

OP sheelba 28 Feb 2018
In reply to mick taylor:

Thought of that, but pretty sure that would be me so doesn't work

bouldery bits 28 Feb 2018
In reply to sheelba:

Canoe!!!

Webster 28 Feb 2018
In reply to sheelba:

traverse in from slightly higher up then drop down the first few meters or miss them out? hard to say without knowing where you are on about as to what is possible. if the pool is open water then you could always stick a b it of plywood in the bottom of a rubber dingy!

Pay Attention 01 Mar 2018
In reply to sheelba:

Had this situation a couple of weeks ago.  The following methods were tried with varying success :-

1) Abseil in from above (a waste of time bushwhacking through the trees for a route that was nothing special)

2) Get your mate to make the step across (and then lose some hours while he dries out.  Sharp poons and axes required for this method)

3) Go back when the portable drawbridge has been installed by the locals.  (SUCCESS!)

Post edited at 10:50
 Hat Dude 01 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

> Paddle board?

Would standard antibotts be good enough to stop the board sticking to your crampons?

Pay Attention 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

Another top tip from me:

* Don't drop your expensive state of the art tools in the plunge pool.

This advice is given freely and is as much use as the advice from those who say:-

• Don't get in a car / plane / train / boat that crashes 
  • Don't invest in a business / market that crashes
  • Don't slip down an icy slope - there is no Plan B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...