Footage of driving the Model T Ford down the Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 17 May 2018

Not sure if this is the right forum, mods feel free to move it!

Tired of that trudge up to the Ben? Just drive you Model T Ford to the summit, although dynamiting a path through the peat bog might be frowned upon!

Some interesting footage of driving the Model T off the summit of the Ben back in 1911.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44003271

colinakmc 18 May 2018
In reply to MikeR:

an early exponent of opposite lock, I see....

subtle 18 May 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Interesting - but I do wonder about the merits of a statue in Fort William of the car - how long until some 4x4 drivers attempt to drive to the summit?

Jim 1003 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

It's all right Jeremy it's a black car....

Dom Connaway 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I was rather thinking that this footage puts the efforts of modern 'green laners' into sharp perspective...

Dom Connaway 18 May 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Thanks for posting this. Brought a much-needed smile to my day, especially as I'm looking into doing something equally silly (but human powered) on the Ben for charity next year.

JLS 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

>"Interesting - but I do wonder about the merits of a statue in Fort William of the car - how long until some 4x4 drivers attempt to drive to the summit?"

I'm surprised going up mountains on trials bikes (motorbikes) hasn't become a thing yet.

Also, as these e-bike style mountain bikes become more popular, I fear it's only a matter of time before these are seen more frequently on the hills.

DaveHK 18 May 2018
In reply to JLS:

> I'm surprised going up mountains on trials bikes (motorbikes) hasn't become a thing yet.

My understanding is that there's no legal right of access for motorized vehicles. 

> Also, as these e-bike style mountain bikes become more popular, I fear it's only a matter of time before these are seen more frequently on the hills.

Most big hills require carrying the bike and as ebikes currently stand they're pretty much prohibitively heavy. 

Simon Caldwell 18 May 2018
In reply to JLS:

> I'm surprised going up mountains on trials bikes (motorbikes) hasn't become a thing yet.

It's on its way - they're becoming relatively common on the Coniston hills for instance

JLS 18 May 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

>"Most big hills require carrying the bike."

I still think it's just a matter of time before someone, out in the 'gorms, phones up mountain rescue and says. "my bike battery has gone flat..."

Post edited at 14:34
 subtle 18 May 2018
In reply to JLS:

Did that boorish Danny MacAskill not get some notoriety for riding his trials bike on the mountain tops of Skye last year?

Carless 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

I don't think I've seen anything featuring DM on a trials bike

do you mean this? youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA&

If yes, you might want to look more closely at the bike he's using

subtle 18 May 2018
In reply to Carless:

> I don't think I've seen anything featuring DM on a trials bike

> If yes, you might want to look more closely at the bike he's using

Nope - he released a video last year of him and his cousin riding trials bikes along the hill tops of Skye - received much condemnation and seems to have largely disappeared from youtube etc but it is still on his Facebook page apparently     https://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-bike-hero-danny-macaskill-sparks-row-ov...

Carless 18 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

Thanks - didn't know about that

Hat Dude 18 May 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Some pictures here of the 1962 "ascent" of the Ben with an Austin Gipsy

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-69/index.html

Lusk 18 May 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

Has everyone forgotten the nut job who got busted and went and did it again?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-21087633

wercat 20 May 2018
In reply to subtle:

His exploits have roused some response:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...