Foinaven Winter Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 07 Nov 2022

Have you climbed on Foinaven in winter or even walked past it in winter condition? If so then maybe you can help me.

I'm currently working on the new SMC winter guidebook for this area and most of the routes have seen little traffic since their first ascents. I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who has done winter routes on or who has winter photos of Creag Dubh and Creag Urbhard. I appreciate that the latter of these is a real long shot!

I've attached a photo of Creag Dubh that I took a couple of years ago just to get everyone in the mood for winter.

Thanks,

Dave

Foinaven - Ganu Mor

Post edited at 21:18

veteye 07 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Coo!

Take me into your picture world right now.

(Sadly I have not been to Foinaven, but aim to do this pseudo-Munro, and some rock routes on it, and now wondering about winter routes).

Phil1919 07 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I think you'll be writing a guide destined for a museum. 

OP DaveHK 07 Nov 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Coo!

> Take me into your picture world right now.

> (Sadly I have not been to Foinaven, but aim to do this pseudo-Munro, and some rock routes on it, and now wondering about winter routes).

It's an amazing place just to be in the winter, never mind climb. The ridge traverse is just walking but it's spectacular. 

Post edited at 22:05

rsc 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I’m looking forward to it already, and I bet I’m not the only one.

OP DaveHK 07 Nov 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Coo!

> Take me into your picture world right now.

One of the ridge:

rogerwebb 07 Nov 2022
In reply to rsc:

In condition, at least for mixed, far more often than people might think.

OP DaveHK 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

> I think you'll be writing a guide destined for a museum. 

What a legacy!  

Joking aside, there will be winter climbing in Scotland for some time yet, certainly long enough to warrant another series of guidebooks.

In reply to rogerwebb:

Achfary, the southern starting point for Foinaven is frequently the coldest spot in winter weather bulletins.

veteye 07 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes it definitely looks like a peak that I would like to both top out in summer and winter, and to climb on.

The one downside is that I have camped at site overlooking a sea-loch near there, and was swamped by midges one summer many years ago, but then that could have been true in many Scottish camping locations.

oscaig 07 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

So many juicy looking ice lines on that image, a totally amazing face.

Phil1919 08 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

You may not have seen the latest graphs but we seem to be living in unprecedented times. All sorts of anomalies in nature showing up. The future is suddenly very difficult to predict. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...