English/Welsh winter weekend warriors...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 10 Feb 2018

...who else is sat at home feeling a bit despondent with the weather? Who else has been watching the Met Office summit forecasts for Glyder Fawr or Helvellyn all week? Reading the Lake District fell top assessor reports? Admiring the instagram and Facebook photos (well done Ramon and Adam on Travesty in perfect looking conditions!)? And now figuring tomorrow isn't going to be worth the petrol...? Yes, monday and tuesday are looking pretty good, but I have to be back at work then.

Is anyone going to risk it tomorrow? Perhaps if you live in Bangor or Kendal trying something high and predominantly rocky might be worth a go. But spare a thought for those of us more geographically challenged - for me it seems a day winter climbing involves a 4 am alarm and a 6 hr round trip driving. The days out I've had so far this winter have made that well worth it, but umming and ahhing whether to try something tomorrow.

Scots, I know it isn't always perfect for you - but follow the Bible (Chasing the Ephemeral) and I bet you can get something worthwhile done!

mrphilipoldham 10 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Temperatures are just starting to drop up high, you might have 12hrs worth of refreeze before hitting any crag in the morning, if you're lucky!

In reply to TobyA:

At least you're not stuck at home with flu. I've missed 3 trips in the last 10 days and no prospect of anything for a while yet. I'm desperately avoiding Facebook FOMO: it'd be much easier if no one was out getting stuff done. Bastards  

OP TobyA 10 Feb 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Hmmm, as much of a hopeless optimist as me it seems.  https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal interesting that the turf readings are constant. Reports from Helvellyn this morning of sopping turf.

Are you tempted? You're based somewhere near me aren't you? (Sheffield)

wercat 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Not claiming flu but I've had what I think is a heavy and debilitating cold for a week and missed some lovely fine days!  Did get out on Friday the 2nd which was nice.

BnB 10 Feb 2018

> At least you're not stuck at home with flu. I've missed 3 trips in the last 10 days and no prospect of anything for a while yet. I'm desperately avoiding Facebook FOMO: it'd be much easier if no one was out getting stuff done. Bastards  

My experience entirely. I confidently predict the return of balmier weather the minute my chest clears up.

skizxi 10 Feb 2018

I might check out Trinity Face. Winter conditions can be so frustrating when you have work commitments. 

OP TobyA 10 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

I was going to report your flu misery to Dan, to make him feel better (or at least misery loves company and all that...). Don't think you're missing much this weekend, at least south of Hadrian's Wall BnB. So lemsip, bed rest and catching up on some good box sets I reckon! Get well soon (and to Dan).

Post edited at 15:22
OP TobyA 10 Feb 2018
In reply to skizxi: I doubt gully routes will be good because even as the temp goes back down, it's meant to snow more. So an insecure wade at best, windslab at worse. What about something like Clogwyn y Person Arete (III 4)? Just being covered in snow is probably enough.

In reply to TobyA:

Aye, well.. Manchester! Not tempted tomorrow as I wouldn't be allowed(!) having a rare Sunday off.. but Mon/Tues I'm considering options.

OP TobyA 10 Feb 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

You clearly aren't a proper weekend warrior! Although in a week it's half term, so I can maybe get out midweek too (depends if I'm allowed also! ).

climber34neil 10 Feb 2018

I feel your pain, just got out of bed today since going in on Tuesday! Climbing out of bed was hard enough, so no chance of climbing anything harder for a few days yet I expect. I must have picked it up in the clear and cold air in cogne last week!

lucozade 10 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Yep frustrating, and frustrating being a long way from the mountain areas too! Especially when you spend the morning pitching for work with an organisation that leads you up the garden path haha!

In reply to TobyA:

I can only dream of climbing at a weekend! Was hoping to do some grit bouldering on my way to Stoke today but couldn’t even see Ramshaw from the road. I’ll stick to week days!

neuromancer 11 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Another kind of pain; even worse as its tantalisingly close: I have a sudden last minute week off work, Scotland is in whiteout, but my partner has had to cancel last minute and there's nobody on the Facebook or UKC partners looking to climb!

It's such a long drive just on the offchance someone gets back!

bensilvestre 11 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Sorry to report that there was excellent ice pouring out of the gullies on clogwyn du. It was worth the risk. The whole buttress was covered in a cm of verglas so not ideal for mixed, but the gullies were great fun! Should get even fatter over next few days as there was a lot of meltwater, and it's supposed to stay cold!

OP TobyA 11 Feb 2018
In reply to bensilvestre:

What route did you do Ben? And are we talking ice screw worthy amounts of ice?

I went for a very wintery walk around the southern edges of Kinder - not a white-out as there was lots of heather and grit lumps still sticking out of the snow, but pretty wild - glad I had my goggles with me. Walked off some of the way with a family of four who seemed pretty happy to bump into me up on the plateau rim. The kids were a bit scared in the wild weather and one of them (maybe 9ish) immediately said "can we come with you?" I think dad knew where they were and where they had to go, but seemed happy to take a second opinion! Much better once we dropped off the plateau and down and clough, the kids went back to enjoying the snow then, but chance to do a good turn I guess.

bensilvestre 12 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Clogwyn left hand branch. Placed a few screws between the two pitches but lots of rock gear available. Climbed the central of the three possible finishes, up a steep groove, which was quite thin ice in places but good gear. Left finish was really fat and probably about tech 3/4, right finish up the gully wasn't icy, not sure if it normally is or not. Also soloed clogwyn du right hand, nice and icy and all turf extremely well frozen 

OP TobyA 12 Feb 2018
In reply to bensilvestre:

I should have had a bit more faith! But but but.... no partner, 6 hrs of driving, 30 quid in fuel, iffy forecast.... excuse excuse.

bensilvestre 12 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Not sure I'd  have risked it if I lived that far away. Fingers crossed it stays cold

Street 13 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I know the feeling! I talked myself out of it thinking it wouldn't be worth the drive. Turns out I was wrong and I only had 3 hours of driving to do! 

JohnBson 13 Feb 2018
In reply to TobyA:

True weekend warrioring for me involves a drive to the cairngorms from sheffield. Me and whoever can fit in the van (seats 3) share the driving and one unlucky one sleeps in the front with two in the back. Cramped and not dry but we manage two days of climbing. Work at 8am on Monday isn't great though. Productive season doing that thus far, especially using the CTE book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...