early season mixed recommendationss

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 euan maharg 26 Nov 2020

Hi, I'm looking for early-season mixed routes on the Ben this weekend. Anything v-vii, not Gargoyle wall - it's getting saved.

Any recommendations?

Cold-snap/snowed up rock types, high up. Darth Vader at the hardest...

Much appreciated.

Ben Nevis

DaveHK 26 Nov 2020
In reply to euan maharg:

It's a Shot in the Dark but I'm worried you might be from well south of The Great Glen, maybe somewhere in the middle of Caledonia? Although with a name like that at least you're probably not a Sassenach. 

Posting this on here in going to be like a Red Rag to many, but if you Point Blank refuse to follow the restrictions then it's Pointless arguing with you.

I'm worried that this is the Shape of Things to Come and that Heidbangers like yourself won't Stay Home, Save Lives.

Will this Ship of Fools get caught? Place your Bets on that one but it's no Secret you'd need an Interstellar Overdrive to outrun the cops...

Post edited at 16:14
 tehmarks 26 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Will this Ship of Fools get caught? Place your Bets on that one but it's no Secret you'd need an Interstellar Overdrive to outrun the cops...

I'll have a bag of whatever you've been smoking this afternoon please.

DaveHK 26 Nov 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

> I'll have a bag of whatever you've been smoking this afternoon please.

Tomahawk Crack obviously.  

TechnoJim 26 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Bravo.

Nathan Adam 26 Nov 2020
In reply to euan maharg:

I honestly wouldn't bother, freezing level has been above 1000m for the last two days and rising higher again, whatever is there is likely slush covering wet rock. 

Not to mention the crowds with pitch forks waiting by the junction at Torlundy. 

ScraggyGoat 26 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Maybe he's ignoring The Clanger hes made, but won't Die of Ignorance, accepting the Black Hole he's in.

DaveHK 26 Nov 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Maybe he's ignoring The Clanger hes made, but won't Die of Ignorance, accepting the Black Hole he's in.

Or may he's just worried someone will Ring the Alarm? I should probably stop now.

ScraggyGoat 26 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, we all just need a bit of cryotherapy!

sgl 26 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Babylon will have to get Agrippa on him en Route II the Big Bad Ben.

Post edited at 20:08
In reply to DaveHK:

Thankfully he’s based in Aberdeenshire and wouldn’t be breaking any rules at present. 

As for conditions this weekend, I wouldn’t want to assume 😉

tspoon1981 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

> Thankfully he’s based in Aberdeenshire and wouldn’t be breaking any rules at present. 

Aberdeen is in tier 2, Fort William Tier 1 and travel is still not recommended between tiers. I genuinely don't care what he does, but you shouldn't be hiding behind the "bUt hE iSnT bReAkInG aNy RuLeS" argument when he's clearly breaking the spirit of the law.

"If you live in a Level 0, 1, or 2 area in Scotland, or are considering travel to Scotland from anywhere else, you should:

you should minimise unnecessary journeys between areas in different levels

you must, by law, avoid any unnecessary travel to places in Level 3 or Level 4 areas

if you have to travel for essential purposes, you should follow the guidance on travelling safely

You can find out which parts of Scotland are in Levels 3 and 4 via our postcode checker."

MischaHY 27 Nov 2020
In reply to tspoon1981:

Ahh but he probably just needs to get up on the Ben to test his eyesight. That's in the spirit of the law, right? 

tspoon1981 27 Nov 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

> Ahh but he probably just needs to get up on the Ben to test his eyesight. That's in the spirit of the law, right? 

If his name is Euan Cummings, maybe.

In reply to tspoon1981:

He still wouldn’t be breaking any rules or the law. There are no current laws stopping people travelling between tier 1 & 2 area’s for outdoor exercise. 

Whether or not it’s recommended, it’s down to the individual to make a decision on it’s appropriateness. Hence it being advice and not a rule. 

Post edited at 11:24
 DaveHK 27 Nov 2020
In reply to euan maharg:

I'd like to point out that i was just having a bit of a laugh rather than trying to give someone a tough time.

Michael Gordon 27 Nov 2020
In reply to tspoon1981:

"He isn't breaking the rules" isn't an argument, it's a fact. And we all know it isn't tier 3 or 4, so no need to quote the legislation.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

Exceptions listed on Government site you are permitted to leave levels 3 & 4:

Blah blah blah......

Local informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golfing or running (in groups of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households) that start and finish in same place.

Stuart

> Thankfully he’s based in Aberdeenshire and wouldn’t be breaking any rules at present. 

His profile says he us from "Glasvegas", a euphemism for Glasgow. It is hard argue with credibility that travel from Glasgow to Fort William is within the rules.

Post edited at 17:11
 ScraggyGoat 27 Nov 2020
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Oh do keep up Nick, you're doing an Ian Blackford!

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I have no idea what you mean

tspoon1981 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> "He isn't breaking the rules" isn't an argument, it's a fact. And we all know it isn't tier 3 or 4, so no need to quote the legislation.

Thanks for clearing that up Michael, so we can all do what we like and go where we like in tiers 0 - 2? I was meant to be booked into a hotel in Aviemore this week, they called, cancelled and cited the government guidance on inter-tier movement. I'll call them back and say "Michael from T'tinternet says I'm allowed to cross tiers". 

ScraggyGoat 27 Nov 2020
In reply to tspoon1981:

Hotels in Level 1 and 2 area's, are allowed to accept guests from similar level Local Authority areas, see:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pa...

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pa...

within the Holiday accommodation section

More likely that they had so few guests it was cheaper for them to cancel than to staff and stay open, and are using inter-tier travel minimisation as an excuse (note minimisation not ban). Alternatively they may have been pressured by vocal elements in their local community to close.

Cancellation was not due to Covid Reg's; unless of course you are residing in or booked with a Level Three or Four address, or other Home Nation. 

Post edited at 18:17
 Rob N 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Stuart the postie:

> Local informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golfing or running (in groups of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households) that start and finish in same place.

Don’t forget the second part of that exception. 

“local outdoor informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golf, or running (in groups of up to 6 people, plus any children under 12, from no more than 2 households) that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area)”

Robert Durran 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob N:

> Don’t forget the second part of that exception. 

> “local outdoor informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golf, or running (in groups of up to 6 people, plus any children under 12, from no more than 2 households) that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area)”

Yes. I am going hillwalking on my own from Dalwhinnie tomorrow to get the best weather and location I can for a possible cunning photographic opportunity. It is not in my own tier 3 area (Perth and Kinross) and it is more than 5 miles up the A9 from the  boundary but is conveniently within 5 miles of a desolate spot on the boundary to the east of the A9. Within the letter and the spirit of the law

In reply to Rob N:

Why would I have to leave my area for 'local' activity? If I have to leave my area, by definition, this wouldn't appear to be local to my home....

My local Golf Club is Ardeer, can I travel 15 miles to Royal Troon, where I normally play? This requires me to cross the border into another area.

Stuart

DaveHK 27 Nov 2020

> Why would I have to leave my area for 'local' activity? If I have to leave my area, by definition, this wouldn't appear to be local to my home....

> My local Golf Club is Ardeer, can I travel 15 miles to Royal Troon, where I normally play? This requires me to cross the border into another area.

> Stuart

The part of this that worries me most is that you're a golfer.  

Edit: have you read Andrew Greig's golf book? It's very good, in part because it isn't really about golf in the same way as his fishing book isn't really about fishing.

Post edited at 19:09
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> His profile says he us from "Glasvegas", a euphemism for Glasgow. It is hard argue with credibility that travel from Glasgow to Fort William is within the rules.

He doesn’t currently live in Glasgow. My point was you shouldn’t believe everything you read online, especially a UKC profile 😉 

Post edited at 19:17
 Robert Durran 27 Nov 2020

> He doesn’t currently live in Glasgow. My point was you shouldn’t believe everything you read online, especially a UKC profile 😉 

Reading the OP's post, it is perfectly reasonable, in the current circumstances, to look on his profile to see where he lives and to assume it is correct.

In reply to Robert Durran:

> Reading the OP's post, it is perfectly reasonable, in the current circumstances, to look on his profile to see where he lives and to assume it is correct.

Wasn’t having a dig, just clearing up the fake news! 😁 

mrbird 27 Nov 2020

Get away fae the curtains and back to sooking yer werthers ya nosey auld roaster. I'd hate to kick a ball into your garden. 

In reply to DaveHK:

I don't play golf, that was a red herring. I was diverting from climbing, putting it in a different context.

I believe the guidelines are written, deliberately with specific words, which are open to interpretation from whoever it benefits.

Stuart

Rob N 27 Nov 2020

Works out well for me anyway. It add’s a few more crags to choose from within that 5miles. 

Also I guess it gives two people from different areas a bit more flexibility to meet for a walk etc. 

Michael Gordon 27 Nov 2020

> Reading the OP's post, it is perfectly reasonable, in the current circumstances, to look on his profile to see where he lives and to assume it is correct.

Perhaps, but once someone has clarified the matter it seems odd to continue to treat the profile as gospel.

Tricadam 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Nathan Adam:

> I honestly wouldn't bother, freezing level has been above 1000m for the last two days and rising higher again, whatever is there is likely slush covering wet rock.

Would that be a good description of Gargoyle Wall less than 48 hrs after you wrote this sentence? 😉

Nathan Adam 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Tricadam:

Wondered who'd clock on, got to keep the crowds at bay somehow! 

Turned out to be much better than I'd anticipated it to be up there, although still very slim pickings other than Gargoyle Wall/Babylon or the top pitch of The Secret if you were so inclined. I didn't need to drive for four hours to find out though!

Post edited at 20:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...