Durable bungee for internal gaiter strap?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 14 Feb 2018

I've been playing around with elastic cord around the instep of my boots, to hold down the internal gaiters of my overtrousers and stop them from riding up in deep snow.

This works quite well with light elastic like the sort you get inside tent poles, but obviously that doesn't last long.

Has anyone found a similar solution with a material that is a bit more durable, but still low profile enough not to get in the way? (especially as the attachment point to the internal gaiters will involve some kind of clip or knot, which collects snow and ice).

Don' nobody just say 'gaiters', I'm aware of that option.

vscott 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

Hi Andy, was flippantly tempted to suggest skis instead of gaiters!

I've found ~4-5 mm shock cord tied to the internal gaiter tabs (mine are ~10mm wide flat elastic sewn inside the hem) with a bowline and rotating the knot inside the attachment point keeps things pretty neat and lasts ok , esp if remember to unhook the elastic from under boot when off the snow (not an issue at moment!)... 

Ardo 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

Got this on my internal gaiters and does the job, (cue complete failure in the Lakes this weekend!).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073TY9OY

deepstar 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I use some net curtain wire, cut it to length then attach the hooks to the ends. Fit one hook, bent closed to one side of the gaiter, then fit the other hook bent slightly open to the other side. You can then hook it on when doing up your gaiters. I hope this makes sense as it works very well for me and is surprisingly durable.

cousin nick 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I use thin stainless steel wire (old inner brake cable from my bike) secured with alloy crimps.

N

Rick Graham 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

If you tie the shockcord in a loop rather than single, it works better I find.

Only one knot

The loop can be tighter as you can flick one side on at a time

The loop moves round a bit so the wear is spread about rather than being concentrated always on the section touching the corner points of your boot sole.

Sharp 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

If it keeps breaking you could try threading it through tubular webbing but I've had thin cord on trousers and it's lasted well

martianb 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I've cut a length of plastic tubing from an old CamelBak bladder and threaded the elastic cord through that to protect it from wear and tear on rock. it takes a bit of trial and error to get the length about right but it's durable and i've used it for 5-6 years without having to replace the tubing or elastic. 

You can buy clear tubing from B &Q per metre. A tip for threading the elastic through the tube is either to go for slightly larger diameter tubing and/or cut your tubing and heat it up in hot water (in pan on the cooker) to expand it slightly, then thread the elastic through.

David Bennett 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:I use fishing tracer wire held in place by cable crimps, very durable.

Fiona Reid 15 Feb 2018
In reply to martianb:

Fish tank tubing works great too, I've used it on the section of my boot laces where gaiters attach to to stop the metal clips eating through the laces. 

OP Andy Moles 15 Feb 2018

Thanks all, useful suggestions.

abcdef 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

why does it have to go under the boot which i imagine is the area most at risk? i keep meaning to do similar to a pair of sallies, but was going to fashion a few bungee+hook DIY efforts to attach to my boots, similar to gaiters but one at each side per foot.

GarethSL 15 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I had some 1/2 mm steel cables that I recycled from a pair of old gaiters to fix to my internal gaiters on my trousers, if that makes sense.

Something like this...

http://images.camp.it/Articoli/0083.jpg

neuromancer 15 Feb 2018
In reply to abcdef:

Because if you're in enough snow to want permenantly installed internal gaiters (scottish winter swimming) rather than something small over the top of your boots (alps e.t.c), you're probably using gaitered boots with no visible laces.

abcdef 16 Feb 2018
In reply to neuromancer:

I use short gaiters over the top of paramos (ordered without the normal internal gaiter) and an wanting to make sure the paramos don't pop out - so the reason I am planning to add a few bungees (no guarantee it will work very well tho....). Also old school, so no fancy gaitered boots for me unfortunately.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...