Details of accident in Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 26 Dec 2017
I'm going back a few years on this one, perhaps 10/15 yrs.back, a couple were out winter walking, the Deeside area I think, and he accidentally fell the full height of a crag when going through the cornice. He couldn't climb back to his companion and so walked out to alert the rescue. She meanwhile was stranded without map and compass in a white-out. She survived for a number of days in a snowhole until finally rescued. Can anyone recall the details on this event? Help appreciated please.
 Tom Last 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Was it the saga documented on Mountain Podcast earlier this year?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mountain/id1058294652?mt=2&i=100038...
 mattierd 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Jackie Greaves missing 3 days, it made the front page news and she got a bit of money for her story which raised some eyebrows and I think there was a copycat hoax some time later...

https://heavywhalley.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/the-fall-part-1-feb-1994-the-...
 tehmarks 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Missing walker – found after a 3-day search in appalling weather- KMRT videoed the CAS who had mild hypothermia and frostbite. This proved a PR nightmare as the walker Told/sold her story to a tabloid, upsetting most of Mountain Rescue...

Talk about gratitude!
 Andy Nisbet 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

There was an accident in Sneachda very similar. But the person stuck on top was rescued without any injury, so it was a happy ending. You may have combined the two incidents.
 Tom Last 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The podcast I linked to above goes into all this too. I believe she payed for a SARDA dog or similar.
OP Sean Kelly 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Thanks for all the replies. I knew I could depend on good old UKC to come up with the facts. a lot longer than i remembered, over 20 years ago. I haven't managed to locate the site of her mishap, was it Carn Etchachan where her companion fell through the cornice? thanks again. It's for an article I'm writing about navigation mishaps.
 TobyA 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The Greaves story was in the early 90s, you might be thinking of something else or mixing up stories?
In reply to Tom Last:

Can't get this to open Tom.
 TobyA 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Listen to the Mountain podcasts on this, the definitive record I'd say. Chris Sleight has done a brilliant job with them, great shame he doesn't have time/funding to make more.
In reply to TobyA:

No, it was the Greaves one I was writing about. Thanks Toby
 TobyA 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Try here Sean: http://mountainpodcast.com/
 Andy Nisbet 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> Thanks for all the replies. I knew I could depend on good old UKC to come up with the facts. a lot longer than i remembered, over 20 years ago. I haven't managed to locate the site of her mishap, was it Carn Etchachan where her companion fell through the cornice? thanks again. It's for an article I'm writing about navigation mishaps.

Coire Sputan Dearg?
Post edited at 21:07
 rif 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

From the info in the Herald article linked above, wasn't it Coire an Lochan Uaine on the E side of Derry Cairngorm? -- not the Lochan Uaine you're thinking of.
 coldfell 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks for the link to this story - the best Christmas listening for me this year, and worth sticking with for the heart warming ending. Remarkable woman.
Dorine
 Andy Nisbet 27 Dec 2017
In reply to rif:

Yes, you are probably right. The only snag being that it doesn't cornice above that corrie. But the person probably just fell down and cornice somehow got added to the story (they may have walked over the edge in a white-out).
 Michael Gordon 28 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

> Missing walker – found after a 3-day search in appalling weather- KMRT videoed the CAS who had mild hypothermia and frostbite. This proved a PR nightmare as the walker Told/sold her story to a tabloid, upsetting most of Mountain Rescue...

> Talk about gratitude!

To give her the benefit of the doubt, newspaper reporters often wait outside MR buildings to interview people after a high profile incident.
This incident seemed to rumble on for a few years after the event...

I was involved (having joined one of the teams later in the same year as the incident occurred) in assisting a television production company to recreate some of the events during the apparent period when JG was hallucinating just prior to her fall. This included hauling a road drop barrier onto a hillside in Glenshee. One of the hardier team members had to handrail along the barrier then hurl himself over a small cornice to simulate her fall. In between bouts of filming we managed to do a bit of off piste snowboarding, having managed to cadge one of the hire boards from the Glenshee Ski Centre. Not a bad day, in the end.

OP Sean Kelly 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:
Am I right in thinking that she had no map or compass as it was her companion who was navigating, otherwise there was no point in staying put? Not really evident in the podcast as such.
Post edited at 17:07
 coldfell 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

She said she dropped her axe and map in the fall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...