Current status of newtyle quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 murray 03 Oct 2020

It's getting to that point in the year where I flail around on a steep dry tooling route for an afternoon, as "training" for the upcoming winter season.. 

Last year Newtyle was being actively quarried, including on weekends. The workers there turned a blind eye to us climbing in the tube, but I was wondering what the status is these days?

Simon Yearsley 09 Oct 2020
In reply to murray:

No change Murray.  The quarry is a working quarry site, and access rights do not apply here. The company doing the quarrying work will ask anyone entering the quarry to leave and request that the climbing community respects this. They are working the quarry Monday to Friday, and on occasional Saturdays for maintenance, but its fair to say they are generally working more hours than before as they are trying to catch up on the time lost during March/April lockdown (the quarry is supplying stone for the A9 dualing works). The Tube area is still currently unaffected, the rest of the sectors vary week to week as to how easy it is to access them and how much of the lower sections of them have been altered. Personally, I'd urge patience.... it'll still be there next year, when hopefully the quarrying work will be finished; we've all managed to maintain good relationships with the owners; and because of these good relationships, the owners will have helped create/landscape an even better venue for us all to play in.  Hope this helps. Simon

OP murray 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Thanks for the update Simon, it sounds quite encouraging in the long term! Do you know if the works is the next closest dry tooling cave to Edinburgh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...