Cumbrian winter climbers out in force.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good to see a hive of activity in the Lakes over the past few days.

👍..local talent.

Gav Parker 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

🤔😂

wercat 05 Jan 2021

be like a snow leopard, climb solitary and keep shy of people, let only the mountain and yourself know what you've done

Post edited at 10:29
In reply to wercat:

But if it isn't on ukc/insta/Facebook it didn't happen. 

wercat 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

and I don't exist ...

In reply to wercat:

Who said that? I don't see anyone😁

In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Who said that? I don't see anyone😁

I'll hav you know this is a serious thread not some Dick and Liddy comedy club....🤣

Post edited at 12:02
 a crap climber 05 Jan 2021

There's a certain local climber who is somewhat prolific on social media and seems to be well known for this. As is the case with most winter seasons, his posts frequently fill up my Facebook feed. 

Like I imagine is the case for a lot of people people, when Cumbria was bumped up to tier 4 (and now lock down of course) it caused a bit of soul searching as to what I think 'local' means in the context of the guidelines on travelling for exercise.

I'm not trying to pass judgment on anyone else's choice on what they think is reasonable, nor start a discussion on it (it's been done to death already in other threads). However, I had a think about what I could justify to myself, and asked my support bubble what they thought (similar lines) and let's say as a random example plucked out the air, travelling from say Kendal to Great End felt a little bit unnecessarily far. As I said, it's not for me to judge, but seeing this kind of thing is chipping away at my resolve. With so many posts about amazing climbing conditions, which can be very ephemeral, it's hard not to think 'if they're doing it, why shouldn't I?'

Probably best to just steer clear of social media and make choices about my daily exercise that don't trouble my conscience. So far I've been extremely lucky in that the pandemic hasn't caused anywhere near the problems and the changes in lifestyle that it has for many, and am well aware of this. But, the latest lock down coinciding with the current wintery conditions is a bit more difficult to deal with. Still, very fortunate that this is my biggest problem right now...

Edited to change wording slightly and to add: I don't really know why I posted this. Just venting I guess 

Post edited at 21:31
 wercat 05 Jan 2021
In reply to a crap climber:

No names no pack drill but I think I know who you mean and I'm not even on Facebook!

Refreshingly honest...thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Trevers 06 Jan 2021

I've seen so many folk complaining on social media that the conditions are just too snowy for climbing/all the can do is go skiing right now.

I think they should get a sense of perspective and realise how blessed they are right now if that's their main complaint in life.

Baron Weasel 06 Jan 2021

Just a heads up, not that anyone is going out, but apparently there's been a police presence at the top of kirkstone. 

Trevers 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Just a heads up, not that anyone is going out, but apparently there's been a police presence at the top of kirkstone. 

Are you sure the police aren't just out for a day on the hills?

In reply to Trevers:

Now there is a sure fire loop hole buster! 

There is a spot in the North East sells ex plod cars. Get yourself a covid chariot and get out there. 

All of the above is said in jest. Someone will try it though. 

> Just a heads up, not that anyone is going out, but apparently there's been a police presence at the top of kirkstone. 

The decoy worked we are all at Honister.

• > Just a heads up, not that anyone is going out, but apparently there's been a police presence at the top of kirkstone. 

I notice that Weatherline are still recording conditions at the top of Hellvelyn...yet start with Stay at Home/stay local....level 4.

Wesley Orvis 06 Jan 2021

A lot of local climbers out. Incl. mrt and serving police officers. 

Post edited at 18:24
 Steve Wetton 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Not many crags or icefalls in Kendal, Ambleside, Keswick, Ulverston, Barrow............

Is it a time for compliance or all making our own judgements?

Dan Goodwin 06 Jan 2021

Really was there lots out today? Looking from home in Penrith it looked like it would have been a good day but didn't feel I should cross to the other side of the M6!!

Wesley Orvis 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

I wasn’t out today but I was yesterday. Some friends was and said that quite a few local team were out. 

Dark-Cloud 06 Jan 2021

Seems my soul searching as to whether it’s acceptable or “local” if I drive to Troutbeck from Kendal for a run in the hills is pretty pointless when folk are out climbing from here there and everywhere !

Post edited at 21:01
 Steve Wetton 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Seems my soul searching as to whether it’s acceptable or “local” if I drive to Troutbeck from Kendal for a run in the hills is pretty pointless when folk are out climbing from here there and everywhere !

Not really, whether its keeping to the speed limit, drink driving or whatever,  there will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them. 

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

People climbing grade V11's.......I'm impressed if it's well within their limitations.

And yes I am looking on in amusement from North Yorkshire.

Baron Weasel 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Trevers:

> Are you sure the police aren't just out for a day on the hills?

There's neither a pizzeria or donut shop for miles so I doubt it... 

Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Steve Wetton:

> Not really, whether its keeping to the speed limit, drink driving or whatever,  there will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them. 

Of course, but it doesn’t make it any less galling when some of us are trying to be a good citizen.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I read advice given to Scottish climbers during lockdown....

Climb well within your limitations.

Be Sensitive to postings on social media as others are not so fortunate.

Why would someone climb grade 7/8 and enter in ukc logbook...my mate took a fall while leading...

I have a word but I'd rather not.

Andrew Wilson 11 Jan 2021

I completely understand this. I deleted FB from my phone on Friday as I was tired of the inner turmoil triggered by seeing these posts!

Im not criticising the lad either, but as others have implied, no one else needs to know do they? A little tact is perhaps needed. 

wercat 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

my main gripe about people publicising themselves is that the police/other people may see this as flagrancy and a provocation to clamp down on people qoing quietly about without fuss.  The Press could get hold of it and run a story about it

DR 11 Jan 2021

Good post. I too know who you mean - routes are usually a grade harder than described when he does them

Although I don't live in the Lakes now, I did some soul searching last week as to whether driving 25 miles to Ben Lomond to solo some of the easier gully lines was justified (UKC logbook showed ascents) - and I decided not. Ended up having a stunning bluebird day walk up Earl's Seat in the Campsies instead.

IMO driving over Dunmail or Kirkstone to do a route is not local - it's 30 miles plus to Seathwaite for a route on Great End or Gable - so against the spirit of the restrictions if not the law. Takes all sorts and everyone has there own limits of what is acceptable and what isn't. I left the FB group Ground Conditions in the UK just after New Year after getting dogs abuse for pointing out to a guy from Jarrow that he shouldn't be driving to the Lakes for a walk. C'est las vie.

Aye,

Davie

peppermill 11 Jan 2021

Social media use is not helpful (he types looking at a shiny new set of axes on the mantelpiece for big winter plans made back in September.....)

If you really have to head out there's no need to be a turbo-wally and spray it all over social media encouraging others to rural areas. 

It will make no difference but I don't think i've hit the unfollow/mute button so many times on Instagram.

As wercat says...be like snow leopard...

Henry Iddon 11 Jan 2021

I'm hearing reports from someone positioned within a public sector org. that restrictions on travel for exercise will be tightened on or from Thursday this week. They're usually reliable - lets see.

In reply to Henry Iddon:

The horse will have bolted by then, anything white will be in the rivers and lakes. 

In reply to Henry Iddon:

I've just had email back from the Fell Top Assessors' team.

Apparently there is a meeting this after/now to review their service.

Henry Iddon 11 Jan 2021

Yup - putting them on Furlough would send out a message.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...