Conditions in the Cairngorm this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mauraman 14 Dec 2021

I was planning to drive up to the Corries tomorrow as I have got a few days off and wanted to solo a few of the easy gullies at stob Coire an t-Sneachda/coire an Lochain. From a look at the winter conditions logbook it looks like people were climbing in there yesterday but according to the forecast up to next Sunday (and next week as well) temperature are raising well above 0, even at altitude. Should I save myself the long journey or do you think there is some hope of finding anything more than slush?

Thank you

scotthldr 14 Dec 2021
In reply to mauraman:

Conditions are thawing and pretty quickly. I was up in the Sgor Gaoith area on Sunday and although there was snow, it wasn’t really substantial amounts. I got speaking to another party whom were in the NC area on Saturday and they said snow conditions weren’t that great with a lot of climbers binning it early. I’m planning heading into the Corries tomorrow for nothing more than a bimble(if I can get childcare sorted), so I’ll have a look. Depending on your travel distance I would say your probably wasting your time.

Pictures on SAIS website taken yesterday showing the corries

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2021/12/icy-and-firm-snow-cover/

Post edited at 14:57
 carr0t 14 Dec 2021
In reply to mauraman:

I would keep my powder dry for another day. Lots stripped last week already and depleting rapidly. I would say everything will be black by the weekend.

OP mauraman 15 Dec 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

Ok, Thanks!

The drive will be close to 9 hrs so, definetly changing the plan. I was desperate for some winter climbing as I have missed last year season, as most, due to travel restrictions.

Because work, I have also missed the short window this year, so far. Hopefully there will be more opportunities later on...I have a feeling that as soon as festivities are over, the government will introduce more anti-omicron measures.

OP mauraman 15 Dec 2021
In reply to carr0t:

Thank you! 

Change of plan then, will go for some scrambling "closer" to home.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...