Cogne / Valnontey routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveb2006 19 Mar 2019

Was casually looking at Cogne routes and specifically Valnontey. In the logbooks no one has recorded doing Monday Money or Repentance Super this year. 
I was there the previous 2 years and both routes were in great nick (and have quite a few recorded ascents especially MM.) Have they not formed this year or have the restrictions due to nesting lammergeyers changed (restrictions were further up valley previous years)?. Or maybe people just havent bothered to record them.  Be intersted to know?

climber34neil 19 Mar 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

They are both in the banned area this season

OP steveb2006 19 Mar 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

Thanks for that. A lammergeyer flew past us when doing Monday Money last year - quite impressive. Would like to have a 'look' at Repentance next year but will make sure I check the lammergeyer restrictions first.

Steve

In reply to steveb2006:

https://www.facebook.com/effimeribarbagli/

This is where to find all the latest up to date info regarding conditions and access. Both of those routes where there when we went at the end of January but also lots of signs up indicating what was banned

J Whittaker 19 Mar 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

I walked past Repentance and Monday money on my way further up the valley 2 weeks ago. Both looked in excellent nick. We think we saw the bearded vulture earlier in the week. I definitely saw a massive bird circling high up in the Valnontey valley so can only assume not being well up on my ornithology. 

In reply to J Whittaker:

Maybe that's the effect of them not being climbed? We did some routes on the other side of the valley and saw some very big birds so guessed that's what they were

OP steveb2006 19 Mar 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

A quite long wedge shaped tail is one of the key identifiers

J Whittaker 19 Mar 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

I did google it later in the day but unfortunately didn't see it again. We were hoping to see it as we walked past the repentance cliff but no such luck. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...