Brown Cove Crags Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigLob 08 Feb 2018

Has anyone been up to Brown Cove Crags in the last day or so? Looking for advice on the gully conditions. Ive got a couple of novices to take out this weekend and was hoping the easy gullies had plenty in them. 

Simon Caldwell 08 Feb 2018
In reply to BigLob:

Read a report from this morning to say it was raining near Red Tarn. And Saturday's forecast is currently for heavy rain at all levels...

JDC 08 Feb 2018
In reply to BigLob:

Rain to the summits now, but temperature already dropping again. Cold overnight and tomorrow so will refreeze. Mild and wet saturday, colder again on sunday.

Will it a) melt significantly saturday and b) have time to refreeze for sunday??? 

GrahamUney 08 Feb 2018
In reply to BigLob:

Just been up Broad Gully today (8th Feb) with a client. Very soft, very wet snow on the left of the gully all the way. Most of the gully is snow free. No axes or crampons needed. Central Gully not in. No rime on rocks. Turf semi-frozen. Might improve if the temps drop, but otherwise I'd go to Scotland.

Dark-Cloud 08 Feb 2018
In reply to GrahamUney:

Hi Mr Fell Top, do you think it would be worth tweeting the BMC article about when to use crampons ? I ran over Dollywaggon, Nethermost and onto Helvellyn then off Nethermost to Wythburn yesterday, stunning day but the amount of people tramping about on flat paths and coming up from Wythburn in crampons was bizzarre, good to see people being safe but got to be some tired folk about after walking across Nethermost and up to Helvellyn in crampons yesterday !

Post edited at 17:53
 GrahamUney 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I wasn't up there yesterday, so can't comment on whether crampons were needed on flat paths or not. Sorry.

Dark-Cloud 08 Feb 2018
In reply to GrahamUney:

Fair enough.

Billhook 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Over the last 15 years or so I've noticed a huge increase in folk donning crampons as soon as they encounter snow, even when its quite deep and./or soft.

Dark-Cloud 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Exactly, I was bewildered to see folk with them on with an couple of inches of soft snow on easy angled paths, must be bloody awful. Each to their own and all that I suppose.....

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It's because it is impossible to walk up or down the fux the fells stone staircases.

Particularly in winter boots.

DC

Simon Caldwell 09 Feb 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Better put crampons on too soon than too late - the knowledge of when you can safely leave them in your sack comes with experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...