Braemar as winter climbing base?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ardo 30 Jan 2018

Looking to get up to Scotland in February and wondering about Braemar as a base : looks to have reasonable access to Lochnagar/Glen Cova, with the Corries t'other way, a hostel and pubs. Reasonable idea or way off base?

Doug 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Ardo:

Not to bad for Lochnagar (although Ballater is closer) or for the southern Cairngorms (but long approaches) but otherwise you'll be driving a lot each day

In reply to Ardo:

As above, if you are set on Lochnagar then Ballater is a better base but you don't mention what activities you are after.  Braemar is a very good base for ski touring, from the door when conditions are really good (don't hold your breath!) but there is also good climbing on Beinn a Bhuird. Longer days out than Lochnagar, mind.

Possibilities also exist up Glen Callater but generally it needs a good cold spell as the crags are a little lower, but you can get good ice there. (Have a dig in the Scottish Winter Climbs guide.)

Have a good one.

Edit - Sorry you do say winter climbing in the title. 

Post edited at 14:05
 Bob Aitken 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Ardo:

Agree with Doug, not a great idea (though the Aberdonians may be along shortly to disagree).  Have a closer look at the road map.  If we get a dump of snow you might not be able even to get to Braemar over Glenshee; or to get back home that way; or to get over the Lecht to Cairngorm (c.2 hrs drive).  Glen Clova is a very long circuitous drive away, again c.2 hrs, I'd be almost as quick going there from Edinburgh.  Access to key winter crags in the southern Cairngorms will generally take you a couple of hours' hard walking.  Lochnagar and the Stuie are almost your only reasonably accessible prospects.

Scomuir 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Ardo:

If you're willing to cycle, you've got Beinn a'Bhuird, Stob Coire Sputan Dearg and Coire Etchachan as reasonable day options, as well as the obvious of the NE corrie of Lochnagar, Dubh-Loch & The Stuic.   Coire Kander is worth a visit if there's been some reasonable freeze/thaw, as the icefalls can get sizeable in those conditions.  Glen Clova isn't idea from the Braemar side. 

OP Ardo 30 Jan 2018

Thank you for the replies chaps. Will have a proper read after work, (and probably look at alternatives .

drsdave 30 Jan 2018
In reply to Ardo:

Lochnagar as you say but the northern side is a drive and a half. Otherwise yes a good place to camp out. I spend a week there a couple of years back and got stuff done in Lochnagar 

Sophie G. 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Ardo:

Braemar is a lovely spot, but like others say, there's no point trying to approach the Norries or Clova from there--you might just as well drive from Perth, indeed it might actually be *easier* to drive from Perth. If you want to winter-climb from a Braemar base at any established venues except Lochnagar, the Stuic, and Glen Callater, then as well as a car (and driveable roads) you'll need to do some long walk-ins/ cycle-ins/ ski-ins. Given these long approaches, you probably want an anticyclone in March or April. (The later you go in the season, the more the altitude differential for snow-cover establishes itself. So in January everything tends to be plastered, right down to the glen, and conditions don't change much no matter how high you climb, whereas by late March the glens are brown but the hills are still very white, and they have good-quality neve and ice instead of bottomless powder or porridge.)

But maybe what you want to do is just avoid being based in Aviemore? I can empathise with that  There are lots of more appealing places to stay in Speyside. Newtonmore, Kingussie, Grantown, Boat, Feshiebridge, Nethybridge, and Laggan are all *a lot* prettier and more atmospheric. (Sits back and awaits string of outraged responses from Aviemore residents.)

Post edited at 09:10
 drsdave 31 Jan 2018
In reply to Sophie G.:

Sofie just reading your response which seems like technical weather data support (very cool) but on another note can you recommend some good places to stay for Cairngorm or Creag Meagaidh. 

Sophie G. 01 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

If you want a place that's equally convenient for N Cairngorms and Creag Meagaidh, then you want to be in Kingussie or Newtonmore or Laggan, half way between them.

I haven't used most of these because I'm based in Dundee, so I can't tell you much more than the internet can, but depending on your budget you have a lot of options. There are two bunkhouses in Newtonmore, Newtonmore Hostel and Strathspey Mountain Hostel. There's a third bunkhouse on the Newtonmore to Laggan road,  Bunkhouse at the Roundhouse. Google shows lots of B & Bs. There are various full-on Scots-baronial hotels around too, many of them desperate for custom because they're not in Aviemore where everybody goes, and because they *look* so expensive that no one dare ask the question. But actually if you do ask, and especially if you ask in advance, *some* of them don't cost much more than a B & B. E.g. the Duke Of Gordon in Kingussie shows up on google at £64 per night, which is no different from a B & B really. And staying in one of those grand Victorian huntin'-and-fishin' hotels is an experience in itself. Shows you another side of Scotland... 

I think most of the local hoteliers round there would really love it if visitors were more imaginative about where they stayed--Aviemore gets rammed with the skiing and is all traffic-jams and double-bookings, meanwhile 10 miles down the road the place is deserted and the hotels can barely stay in business. A more even *spread* of the tourist presence would be great for the local economy.

But to repeat, I haven't stayed in these places myself, so can't be sure I'm giving you good tips.

http://www.dukeofgordonhotel.co.uk/

Post edited at 10:07
 drsdave 01 Feb 2018
In reply to Sophie G.:

thanks Sophie that's fair advice, enjoy your season n stay safe

CurlyStevo 01 Feb 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Another option is to stay over towards roy bridge way then you can easily get to the Ben and Meggie, and glen coe / aviemore / beinn udlaidh / southern highlands etc are not at all too far to blast over to for day trips. 

drsdave 02 Feb 2018
In reply to CurlyStevo:

thanks Stevo

Andy Moles 02 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

I think if you're picking a winter climbing base, with a mind to flexibility and ease of access to the most reliable venues, and to pubs and services, the obvious choices are within a ten mile radius of either Fort William or Aviemore.

I think the above advice about which villages are nicer to stay in should be taken with a pinch of salt, especially if you're only visiting. The experience of staying anywhere will always be determined by circumstantial factors and personal taste.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...