Blackdiamond ultralight ice screw tip separation issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 garethMottram 16 Feb 2022

I recently got back from a trip to Rjukan and two guys on the trip had the new BD ultralight screws. using them during the week they were pretty prone to sticking as you put them in, presumably because of the different thermal conductivity properties of the steel tip and the aluminium shaft. 

the biggest issue is that both guys had the tips start to separate by the end of the week. All of these were on their first outing and none were rocked or fallen on. Bought from different stores and with different batches. This is a bit of a concern, wondering if anyone else has seen this?

GarethSL 16 Feb 2022
In reply to garethMottram:

Just bomber gear on instagram has been having a field day with these screws pretty much since they were released.

Tip separation is a pretty common issue with these it seems.

galpinos 16 Feb 2022
In reply to garethMottram:

This issue has been well known about for a while. Not sure why it only seems to affect the BD screws, Petzl ones seem to be doing better?

If I was buying these lightweight screws, I'd be going Petzl or, more likely, Blue Ice.

(All my screws are the older BD Turbo Express - Bomber)

galpinos 16 Feb 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> If I was buying these lightweight screws, I'd be going Petzl or, more likely, Blue Ice.

In light of this thread:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/blue_ice_aero_light_screw_handle-743...

looks like it'd be Petzl NOT Blue Ice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...