Best winter condtions in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 10 Feb 2020

Hi All,

Looking to go up to scotland the weekend of the 14th Feb. Looks like there might be loads of snow this week. Can anyone reccomend the best spots with good snow and ice condtions for some grade I/II climbs up there. Looking at spending 3/4 days there. 

Thanks Glenn

LakesWinter 10 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

With the weather forecast this week no one can predict at the moment. I think it depends on 2 things.

1) how much it snows this week and where the wind blows that snow and

2) what happens with any thaw on saturday

Phil1919 10 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Best to go with no expectations and take what comes.

AndyE9 10 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Hi , We were also looking to head up, on the 17th  when my daughter finishes work (around half term )..  

I have just been looking at the long range forecast and the weather seems very unsettled atm , we are considering postponing the trip ??  

We have picked a selection of routes in and around Glencoe and on the Ben but was keeping an open mind , but the weather looks to be putting a stop to things ...   

Im with you @glenn0010 Im wondering what would be in condition as we have been looking forward to our trip ..   

Post edited at 11:54
 Root1 10 Feb 2020
In reply to AndyE9:

Scotlands always a gamble. We stayed at the cic last week. Forecast the night before was freezing level above the summits. Next morning it was well below freezing all day right down to the hut. You just never know the forecasts are often wrong.

Removed User 10 Feb 2020
In reply to AndyE9:

You should plan for a greater spread of venues.

You may find the Cairngorms or Torridon in condition when The Ben/Glencoe aren't.

Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

It depends how much of a thaw there is at the weekend. Conditions will either be (a) good, (b) ok, or (c) poor.

gravy 10 Feb 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

or (d) truly awful

Billhook 12 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

I think asking that sort of question is a bit like asking folk to forecast the weather using tea leaves.

glaramara 12 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Go for crags facing west. There's not that many so will narrow your search a bit. 

Martin W 12 Feb 2020
In reply to glaramara:

Forecast is for temperatures to rise again on Friday and stay that way over the weekend.  Also Storm Dennis is due to arrive.  All in all I'd say that gravy's option (d) is looking increasingly likely.

Simon Caldwell 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

So you need somewhere that's not completely scoured, not under a few feet of powder, and not exposed to the SW storms that are due.

We'll probably go for a walk/crawl up a Corbett or Graham...

OP glenn0010 13 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

Yeah lookslike option d) is likely. we'll likely postpone our trip to next weekend, hopefully conditions will improve by then

subtle 13 Feb 2020
In reply to glenn0010:

> Yeah lookslike option d) is likely. we'll likely postpone our trip to next weekend, hopefully conditions will improve by then

A wise choice, if the forecasted storm does hit this weekend it would be a tad unpleasant to be on the hills - fingers crossed its not as bad as forecast, and that things improve for the following weekend

Stay safe out there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...