/ Best winter condtions in Scotland
Looking to go up to scotland the weekend of the 14th Feb. Looks like there might be loads of snow this week. Can anyone reccomend the best spots with good snow and ice condtions for some grade I/II climbs up there. Looking at spending 3/4 days there.
With the weather forecast this week no one can predict at the moment. I think it depends on 2 things.
1) how much it snows this week and where the wind blows that snow and
2) what happens with any thaw on saturday
Best to go with no expectations and take what comes.
Hi , We were also looking to head up, on the 17th when my daughter finishes work (around half term )..
I have just been looking at the long range forecast and the weather seems very unsettled atm , we are considering postponing the trip ??
We have picked a selection of routes in and around Glencoe and on the Ben but was keeping an open mind , but the weather looks to be putting a stop to things ...
Im with you @glenn0010 Im wondering what would be in condition as we have been looking forward to our trip ..
Scotlands always a gamble. We stayed at the cic last week. Forecast the night before was freezing level above the summits. Next morning it was well below freezing all day right down to the hut. You just never know the forecasts are often wrong.
You should plan for a greater spread of venues.
You may find the Cairngorms or Torridon in condition when The Ben/Glencoe aren't.
It depends how much of a thaw there is at the weekend. Conditions will either be (a) good, (b) ok, or (c) poor.
or (d) truly awful
I think asking that sort of question is a bit like asking folk to forecast the weather using tea leaves.
Go for crags facing west. There's not that many so will narrow your search a bit.
Forecast is for temperatures to rise again on Friday and stay that way over the weekend. Also Storm Dennis is due to arrive. All in all I'd say that gravy's option (d) is looking increasingly likely.
So you need somewhere that's not completely scoured, not under a few feet of powder, and not exposed to the SW storms that are due.
We'll probably go for a walk/crawl up a Corbett or Graham...
Yeah lookslike option d) is likely. we'll likely postpone our trip to next weekend, hopefully conditions will improve by then
> Yeah lookslike option d) is likely. we'll likely postpone our trip to next weekend, hopefully conditions will improve by then
A wise choice, if the forecasted storm does hit this weekend it would be a tad unpleasant to be on the hills - fingers crossed its not as bad as forecast, and that things improve for the following weekend
Stay safe out there
This Winter Conditions page gives a summary of what is being climbed at the moment, what is 'in' nick and what the prospects are...
A public consultation is currently gathering views on the future management of the North Lees Estate, which contains a large section of Stanage Edge. The BMC is responding to this consultation and is encouraging individual climbers and walkers who are...