Ben Nevis conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Has anyone been up on the Ben the last couple of days? What's left complete?
 Pina 01 Apr 2017
In reply to cannichoutdoors:

All of the rock routes?

Otherwise, I imagine green gully and .5 could be ok with overnight frosts (done earlier in the week).
 Webster 02 Apr 2017

any snow or ice is now in the atlantic... iv seen more snow in July
 Tricadam 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Webster:

Yep. With temps dipping again, Webster and I headed in hoping against hope that Point Five might just have survived the thaw. Certain crucial sections last seen somewhere in Loch Linnhe, however. Observatory Ridge was a wet mess, so we opted for a slimy Castle Ridge scramble instead. Great views, and the crux was dry. (Little else was though!) Number Two still looks complete, and the grade I gullies are still there. Didn't get a look in Green Gully. Webster took Ledge Route on descent and the traverse was as snowless, slimy and awful as I had predicted I, on the other hand, had a lovely time chatting to all the folk on the tourist path
 Tricadam 04 Apr 2017

Excellent effort the guys who made the most of the weekend's freeze-thaw cycle to get up Good Friday Climb. It wasn't quite there a week ago when we were on Tower Ridge. Amazing that it's back in! Optimism does sometimes pay off
 French Erick 04 Apr 2017

As always though, faith and experience will yield stuff. I have thrown the towel in personnaly but check this out:
http://www.scottishwinter.com/ entry from 31/03 and 01/04
 dizzyg 06 Apr 2017
In reply to cannichoutdoors:Went up yesterday to do Comb Gully , looked a bit thin in the middle so soloed up Raeburns easy route also a bit thin on the lower sections , good neve , finished off on bomber ice of experts choice , well worth the walk in . Should be ok for the weekend .

VPJB 10 Apr 2017

Will be walking up with father in law, where is the snow line on the path?

had a couple of folk in the wall today suggest that winter had arrived, not known to me so can't vouch for their credibility, but it would appear there's some fresh snow about.
 Webster 15 Apr 2017

should be good for hard mixed and easy ice over the next few days. good Friday climb was complete and in good nick on Friday... buttresses well rimed down to the base of observatory buttress.
In reply to Webster:
Anybody seen how Smith's route is looking?
 Webster 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

zero vis im afraid. based on the start of indicator wall I would say it has ice but is likely too thin to climb
In reply to Webster:

Thanks. Trying to weigh up whether it will form up a bit more over the next week...
 Webster 18 Apr 2017

stonking neve and snow ice to be had up high yesterday. climbed glovers chimney, initial ice fall to thin for screws but crux chimney was fantastic with snow ice and good rime. plenty of other routes look climeable but protection will be thin. tower ridge also saw allot of traffic
 Brass Nipples 18 Apr 2017

Currently dark
 crawa003 19 Apr 2017
In reply to cannichoutdoors: has anyone been up this week? It's looking cold again for the weekend but been fairly warm this week. Not sure if it's worth a look

Webster 20 Apr 2017
In reply to crawa003:

definitely worth a look, there was lots to go at on Monday and freezing level didn't rise above the summits until tues night and will be back down again tomorrow. I don't expect anything above grade III but with the lean conditions the easy routes have more interest.
 crawa003 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Webster: yeah might be worth a wee spy. Cheers mate

Tricadam 22 Apr 2017
In reply to crawa003:

In case you haven't seen this on MWIS:

Northerly winds, intermittently reaching gale force upland areas (mainly Scottish Highlands), originating in the high Arctic will bring very cold air southwards on Monday. Freezing levels will be very low. Snow and hail showers (sometimes very frequent or almost constant snow for a few hours, particularly N Scotland) will affect even some lower slopes, as summit temperatures drop as low as, if not lower than at any time this winter.
 Webster 29 Apr 2017

so point 5 looks complete again...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...