Ben Nevis - Galactic Hitchhiker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m hard at work on the new Ben Nevis guidebook at the moment and looking at variations to Galactic Hitchhiker.

Has anyone climbed Galactic Hitchhiker and belayed on (or passed by) the ‘pointed block’?

This feature is a key pointer in the original route description, but I cannot recall the pointed block when I was up that way many years ago. Robin Clothier climbed the route for the second time the other day and couldn't identify it either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Removed User 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Simon Richardson:

Ah, Galactic Hitchhiker, an oldie but goldie!

When we arrived at the third pitch there was no sign of a`pointed block`. From a good peg belay we climbed the steep icy corner with help from the well iced left wall and after a full 60m belayed in a little gully. I have a photo much like the one in Cold Climbs. After the corners it was a long long way to the plateau.

Ian Carr 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Simon Richardson: likewise, belayed to the right of the icy corner. Can’t remember a pointy block. The belay was on quite steep ground so may have been banked out. Then stepped left into the corner and the icy left wall. There was also an excellent leftward slanting ice gully / wide chimney on the pitch above. Then miles of grade 2 / 3 to the top.

T M Elson 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Simon Richardson:

Hi Simon,

I climbed it last year and didn't see or find a pointed block - the whole route was pretty buried though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...