COMPETITION: WINNERS - Win a place on the Salewa Alpine Campus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Your chance to join Salewa on their inaugural Alpine Campus, based at YHA Honister Hause high above Borrowdale and Buttermere. Beautifully located and with a cosy, informal feel, YHA Honister Hause offers a head start on climbing the surrounding high fells.

Read more

Stegosaur 03 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Since there's no quiz question to answer, how will the entries be judged? Do all entries get entered into a random draw, or will the answers to the (personal) questions determine suitability? If the latter, I don't think it currently meets the CAP Code with the information available. Has anybody considered that asking for a bio could mean that special category data is likely to be collected?

Gavin 03 Jan 2022

For the Bio question the field is only accepting 50 words from what I can tell and the question says 100max?  Anyone else found this, or just me?

BrendanO 03 Jan 2022

Pull certainly be nice if they stated whether random draw, or (more likely?) Salewa’s PR pick the best fit for a group to use in publicity, like the Spice Girls - they could have the super strong indoor one, the auld one, hopefully a mix of gender, ethnicity (dis)ability etc …but it would feel a bit more honest if this was stated.

Especially as there’s a bit of effort involved if it’s not random. More than I’m willing to put in without knowing

(hmmm, I’d be the lazy ungrateful one)

Theo Moore 04 Jan 2022
In reply to BrendanO:

I have paused this competition whilst we decide if we would like to change the question and data collection. It will be back online on Thursday.

Theo Moore 05 Jan 2022

Following the comments we decided to simplify the questions on this competition. It's live again now so please feel free to enter.

SALEWA are planning to contact any entrants who answered the previous set of questions.

In reply to Theo Moore:

Got to be in it to win it

Stegosaur 06 Jan 2022
In reply to BrendanO:

> Pull certainly be nice if they stated whether random draw, or (more likely?) Salewa’s PR pick the best fit for a group to use in publicity, like the Spice Girls - they could have the super strong indoor one, the auld one, hopefully a mix of gender, ethnicity (dis)ability etc …but it would feel a bit more honest if this was stated.

They wouldn't have been legally able to do this, which was why I queried it in the first place. No-one from their company (or UKC) could judge the competition if they were intending to do it by subjective means, not to mention opening themselves up to litigation on the grounds of discrimination.

>8.26  In competitions, if the selection of a winning entry is open to subjective interpretation, an independent judge, or a panel that includes one independent member must be appointed. In either case, the judge or panel member must be demonstrably independent, especially from the competition's promoters and intermediaries and from the pool of entrants from which the eventual winner is picked.

>8.17.6 Prizes and gifts. Promoters must specify the number and nature of prizes or gifts, if applicable.

There's no mention of how many places are available as prizes. It says "a place" so one could reasonably assume one prize, but the terms and conditions mention "winners".

>8.17.9 ...the promoter's full name and correspondence address must be stated.

It isn't.

>8.24  Promoters of prize draws must ensure that prizes are awarded in accordance with the laws of chance and, unless winners are selected by a computer process that produces verifiably random results, by an independent person, or under the supervision of an independent person.

Most prize draws mention that "winner(s) will be selected at random from all correct entries received by the closing date" but this one doesn't. In fact none of the UKC contests seem to.

>8.28  Participants must be able to retain conditions or easily access them throughout the promotion

It's still unclear what the original intentions were, whether all entries had an equal chance of winning or not.

>8.2  Promoters must conduct their promotions equitably, promptly and efficiently and be seen to deal fairly and honourably with participants and potential participants. 

Like locking the thread when I asked for specific details of the contest?

>8.28.6  in a competition, the criteria and mechanism for judging entries

It's still unclear whether it was a prize draw or a competition.

>Promoters should comply with all other relevant legislation, including data protection legislation for which guidance is available from the Information Commissioner's Office.

It was very foreseeable that if you ask climbers for a 100 word bio, that some may mention their race/ethnic origin, religion, or sexual orientation - information which has no bearing on their suitability for two days of alpine instruction. I'm no expert in the subject, but as I understand it processing this data requires explicit consent, a valid reason why it was necessary to collect it in the first place (there isn't one), and Salewa (and UKC?) to have done a DPIA in advance.

Post edited at 16:01
 Theo Moore 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Stegosaur:

In light of the comments on the forums we have updated the competition and terms and conditions to be compliant with guidelines.

Stegosaur 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Theo Moore:

> guidelines.

Rules. They're rules, not guidelines.

In reply to Stegosaur:

I'm guessing you won't be entering then? A shame as there are, as you correctly guessed, winners plural!

Don't want to reveal too much at this stage but it's shaping up to be an amazing weekend for anyone that wants to get involved. There is absolutely zero experience required as the instructors we have will be happy to do whatever level of experience takes your fancy on the day be it some gnarly mountain multipitch or a stroll to visit some awesome Lake District public houses. And the best bit is there's some seriously awesome kit up for grabs from both brands.

I hope you can enter and enjoy, if you'd like to talk further about the competition rules etc please drop me an email and I'd be very happy to answer any queries. 

euan@betaclimbingdesigns.com 

Post edited at 20:42
 Stegosaur 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> I'm guessing you won't be entering then? A shame

Was this intended to antagonize? I hadn't given any indication of my intention to enter or not.

In reply to Stegosaur:

Not in the slightest and I very much hope you do enter.

As mentioned if you wish to talk about it further please don't hesitate to email me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...