ARTICLE: Wellbeing Walks - Equipping Homeless People for Life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A recent equipment donation is helping a Crisis UK walking group to look and feel the part, boosting both comfort and self-esteem. The charity's Wellbeing Walks in the Peak District aim to improve physical fitness, social skills and self-confidence for homeless people.

"We don't belong here!" This was the conclusion reached by a participant in one of Crisis UK's homeless Wellbeing Walks during a visit to Hathersage. Around him, 'outdoorsy types' were dressed head-to-toe in a rainbow of bright jackets fashioned from technical fabrics.  

Read more

DAVETHOMAS90 16 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Thanks for adding this.

I'm interested in the background, differences between etc for those who may have found "a place" within the climbing community - for whom having no money was a setback, but was outweighed by the "social security" of belonging on other terms - and people who find themselves displaced in other ways.

I'm concerned about the increasing emphasis on difficulty and equipment, versus the magic of climbing at it's simplest. Hitching to Sheffield in the early eighties, I remember the only ticket required was that you loved climbing.

tich_mcg 29 Mar 2022
In reply to DAVETHOMAS90:

Hiya Dave, 

I'm steve from above. I think the big difference here is the social anxiety/small world feeling which many of the folks we support are battered by. 

Ger_the_gog 29 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

The outdoors has much to offer everyone and I imagine there are few groups who could benefit more from it than this group. I'm sure many of these folk feel inferior and judged on a daily basis so anything that helps them overcome that to get involved in a constructive activity is a very good thing IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...