ARTICLE: The Montane Dragon's Back Race 2021: So Near and Yet So Far

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Running some 380km from Conwy to Cardiff, and taking in many of the big hills in Wales, the 2021 Dragon's Back Race was the longest and toughest to date. A relative newcomer to running, Chris Harle embarked on a year-long buildup so that he could hit the starting line with the highest chance of success. Sadly even the best laid plans can go awry. So what went right, what went wrong, and what's his advice for anyone tempted to take on such a challenge? 

Read more

hillynomates 30 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Great article, Chris, and well done for getting so far. I encountered the front runners at Ogwen on the first morning - the people getting the checkpoint ready were almost caught out because they turned up so quickly from Conwy!

Totally and utterly inspiring!

Whilst it may not be suitable to reproduce the answer online, I'd love to hear the backstory of this when I'm next in Outside:

"Save your breath for Tryfan and cut the chatter. You may be the type that needs sociable banter but a loud and lengthy discourse on your personal history of ultrarunning is both draining for you and on the listener."

That line had me in stitches...

steveriley 30 Sep 2021

Chapeau for a good read and getting that far! Some awfully strong people fell by the wayside, I can only imagine what it's like getting up the next morning after doing the Welsh 3000s. And again, and again...

Myfyr Tomos 30 Sep 2021

Well done Chris, enjoyed that. I was on the Rhinogydd on that hot second day and on Cadair Idris on the third - you all looked and sounded so happy! I have nothing but the greatest admiration for everybody who competed - finishers or not. Here's to the next one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...