The Big Routes: Across Dartmoor in a Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 05 Sep 2022

Infamous for its bogs and tricky navigation, the north-south crossing of Dartmoor is no pushover, says Dan Bailey; but this is also one of the great wild walks of Britain, a lonely journey with a unique atmosphere. Here's how to do it...

Read more

Sean Kelly 08 Sep 2022
In reply to UKH Articles:

I enjoyed that read Dan covering much familiar ground. I've traversed Foxtor Mire in both drought and in winter when it really is a challenge. But the tussocks can really be a pain to cross, let alone treating a twisted ankle or worse. Starting from just behind Belstone and passing by Irishman's Wall is a good alternative entry point for this crossing of Dartmoor, and good paths up to Hangingstone Hill. The other problem with the winter traverse is avoiding some of the river crossings, which can be very serious indeed. If at all in doubt, try elsewhere but it might entail and sizable detour. Thanks for posting.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Thanks Sean!

As a highland resident I'm always pleasantly surprised by how empty the middle of Dartmoor feels, and also how great the traverse right across it is: a really unique route.

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I spent a lot of my youth on the moors training for Ten Tor’s and just getting out exploring for myself. 

Walking from North to South is a lovey way to see the Moors too. Nice article Dan! Next you’ll have to do it in winter to see just how much water Dartmoor can hold!

In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Unfortunately we rarely seem to visit family in winter. I'm almost sorry not to see it at its best/worst, but to be honest it's soggy enough in a summer heatwave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...