NEWSFLASH: Solo Unsupported Winter Bob Graham Record Broken Twice in 24 Hours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 Dec 2022

The record for a solo, unsupported Winter Bob Graham Round has been broken twice within a day. On Thursday Paul Wilson set a fastest time of 22hrs 54mins, while on Friday James Gibson trumped this considerable achievement with a new record of 21hrs 12mins.

Read more

plyometrics 16 Dec 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Cracking effort!

Mark Eddy 16 Dec 2022

Well done guys, that's properly outstanding. I think it was only a few days ago James was on some other epic winter round in Wales. Just WOW! 

Edshakey 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Mark Eddy:

He bailed on that one after just under 20 miles. Given a successful attempt in Wales would have surely ruled out a BGR any time soon, I wonder how much he'd planned this one! Must have been dying to make the most of the great conditions either way. Brilliant running.

Have multiple big rounds been done in a single winter in any style by one person? That'd be a remarkable achievement if anyone can string even two together in a season.

In reply to Edshakey:

> Have multiple big rounds been done in a single winter in any style by one person? That'd be a remarkable achievement if anyone can string even two together in a season.

Jim Mann did them all in a month back in 2017: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/features/interview_jim_mann_on_the_w...

I bet the conditions on the Bob Graham this past week have been close to perfect.

Suffice to say I’m extremely jealous!!

Edshakey 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Incredible! That's amazing.

Sounds like it, not sure what more you could ask for - aside from non wintery conditions, which misses the point somewhat. 

deepsoup 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

> .. aside from non wintery conditions, which misses the point somewhat.

It definitely wouldn't have counted if they'd done it in February 2019!

Tom Briggs 17 Dec 2022

Amazing effort, but I’m intrigued about what constitutes perfect conditions? Last weekend paths that were really rocky were covered in verglass and wet ground had turned to swathes of sheet ice. It seemed incredibly treacherous and slow going to me! Even for winter. Presumably it was less icy by mid-week?

Aled Williams 17 Dec 2022

Ethical, only fell jogging when the paths are frozen so he dosent damage the rare plants. More fell joggers should follow by james's example 

namaste 

mountainbagger 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Amazing effort, but I’m intrigued about what constitutes perfect conditions? Last weekend paths that were really rocky were covered in verglass and wet ground had turned to swathes of sheet ice. It seemed incredibly treacherous and slow going to me! Even for winter. Presumably it was less icy by mid-week?

I think he wore spikes all the way around which presumably helped. On Inov8's Facebook news about this round it said he wore the Oroc: https://www.inov-8.com/oroc

Baron Weasel 20 Dec 2022
In reply to Edshakey:

> He bailed on that one after just under 20 miles. Given a successful attempt in Wales would have surely ruled out a BGR any time soon

I know Gibson, he's a machine and could do the rounds back to back... He's done the Wainwrights twice in the last year!

Nic Barber 21 Dec 2022

A couple of years back Tom Saville from Sheffield, who has had several attempts, always going on the shortest day whatever the condition, became the 2nd person to 'complete' a winter round - only to get back to Moot Hall and have his dad inform him that he'd gone to the top of Bowfell Buttress and not actual Bowfell.

Needless to say we have never mentioned this since or sent him a video of the 2 'summits' during support of other BGs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...