SITE UPDATES: Logbook and Notifications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 13 Apr 2020

The route table on crag/hill pages have been redesigned from the ground up to provide more functionality and ease of use. Alongside this, a new notification system has been launched to keep you up to date with your favourite UKC/UKH content!

Read more
 Paul Sagar 13 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I'm still seeing the old version, but I'm sure that will change soon.

Question: have you updated/improved the 'graphs' section? I've always thought you could do SO much more with that. For example, rather than having a cumulative total of all the grades I've climbed, ever, it would be good to have those broken down by year. Rather than just red/green, also, would be cool to see how many were dogs vs dnf. And so on. At the moment, the info displayed is very basic but with the data you have it seems more could be done? 

Having said that my resolution this year was to stop worrying about my 'average grade', so maybe I should stop looking at that part of the site entirely anyway.

Post edited at 10:49
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Probably just due to caching. Could try a force refresh.

This update improved a lot of the backend, meaning it will be a lot easier for us to make graphs and stats like the ones you mentioned. Cant give an eta on that yet, but it will happen!

Paul Sagar 13 Apr 2020

Glad to hear it!

Paul Sagar 13 Apr 2020

Hmmm tried doing a hard refresh (safari) and logging in for the first time on Chrome, and still seeing the old version. 

No idea if that is useful information for you.

jon 13 Apr 2020

Is the 'show partners ascents' facility still available?
Is it still possible to hover the mouse over a route - rather than opening it - to see when I did it, like before?

C Witter 13 Apr 2020

It looks nice at a glance, but I'm not a fan of the new logbook design. The biggest usability issue is just that it's harder to get an overview of a crag because you have to scroll through every route in one column now, rather than there being multiple columns as in the old design. I'm not sure this really counts as increased functionality.

A second issue I've noticed is that the "type" column is populated by the grade, so that a Spanish trad 6a gets a sport symbol, even though it's actually an E1 trad route - and gets a trad symbol in the corresponding Rockfax guide.

A third issue: if you order the routes by grade, all the different types of routes get mixed together, e.g. bouldering grades are not grouped together but interspersed with the trad.

Max.shepherd 13 Apr 2020

This may be unrelated to the upgrade, but I've noticed two things:
1) When I look at the 'graphs' section for someone else's profile, I end up seeing details from my own log book

2) Atleast one of the climbs in my log book appears to have become misclassified - it's a trad Diff that has become an Alpine Difficile.

Mr. Lee 13 Apr 2020
In reply to C Witter:

> A second issue I've noticed is that the "type" column is populated by the grade, so that a Spanish trad 6a gets a sport symbol, even though it's actually an E1 trad route - and gets a trad symbol in the corresponding Rockfax guide.

Just checked stuff I moderate and I'm seeing Spanish trad 6as with the trad symbol. The issue might be due to the trad routes in question actually being registered in the logbooks as sports routes. 

remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Apr 2020

I like it! Good work

Minor bug which I assume is related to the update: if I go to a climb page, look at an ascent and then click a partner link I get a 404. e.g. /logbook/crags/rowtor_rocks-1879/showlog.php?id=212953 I think it should be /logbook/showlog.php?id=212953 instead.

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Are you sure you're looking at a crag page, i.e. here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/stanage_popular-104

In reply to jon:

Fixed the hover not showing

In reply to C Witter:

The trad sport grade issue is a tricky one. On paper, with its grade being sport, its a sport route, but obviously its not. One fix may be being able to mark the route as a trad route just like routes can be marked as a DWS/toprope/boulder circuit. But it would require users/moderators updating the routes to reflect this. I'll take a look into it.

It now should sort the routes by type, then grade, when you click the 'grade' header

In reply to Max.shepherd:

1) This should be fixed now. thanks

2) I've identified the few routes affected by this. Looks to only be handful. Will get it fixed soon

In reply to remus:

Thanks for highlighting this. Should work now

Haydn Jones 13 Apr 2020

When you have the climbs ordered by grade. You used to be able to click on a problem then return to the page again and it would take you back to where you were with the climbs ordered by grade still.

Now when you return the clims are back to being ordered left to right.

Any way to have it go back to how it used to work?

Mr. Lee 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Max.shepherd:

> 1) When I look at the 'graphs' section for someone else's profile, I end up seeing details from my own log book

Noticed the same problem with partners wishlists (ie I get my own), but only if I go via a given partner's graphs page first. If I go straight to the wishlist page then it works OK. 

In reply to Mr. Lee:

Ah yes, good spot, fixed now. May require force refresh/emptying the cache to fix it your end.

olddirtydoggy 13 Apr 2020

Great job with the new format, I personally love it. Was this planned or was it a Covid stuck in the house and need something to do kind of job? Either way I'm glad it got changed.

In addition, could the "! Please refrain from climbing outside" box at the top of the logbooks please be at least made smaller? Like most climbers, I'm keeping off the rock until things ease but whilst we're locked down I am browsing a lot of the logs to plan big days out to make up for lost time and the notice is rather irritating.

Thanks for the hard work.

Andy Moles 14 Apr 2020
In reply to C Witter:

> The biggest usability issue is just that it's harder to get an overview of a crag because you have to scroll through every route in one column now, rather than there being multiple columns as in the old design. I'm not sure this really counts as increased functionality.

I agree with this.

Also there is a huge gap between the grade and stars columns, which for me definitely makes it less browsable than it used to be (I'm also not a fan of the Rockfax style star numbering, but accept that may be just me).

Alex the Alex 14 Apr 2020

How does the routes of interest feature work? 

Blake 14 Apr 2020

Just having a click around some crags - really like the expandable groupings and the sticky nav! Could maybe do with a 'collapse all' and 'expand all' toggle.

A feature I'd like is to see another option next to 'add to wishlist', perhaps called 'add to tick list' so a user can tick a bunch of routes on the crag page and add them to a new tick list, or an existing tick list without leaving the crag page (a bit like playlists in spotify). At the moment you create a tick list which then takes ages to appear on your page, you have to keep refreshing for quite a while... I guess a cron or some similar process has to run. Then a user has to go to a crag page, find the routes they want to add, then open the tick list in another tab or window and manually type them in and hope you can find them in the list as they appear. It's all very clunky. The wishlist works much better at present, but it's nowhere near as useful as having a bunch of tick lists.

One very minor snag I noticed is that the DWS routes are listed as sport routes and have a sport icon.

Not sure what the DWS icon is... maybe a shark fin or a pair or armbands 😂 

Good stuff though, excited to see where you go with it.

mrphilipoldham 14 Apr 2020

It doesn't look too bad on mobile, but it's unpleasant on my laptop. Many crags that used to be able to fit on a single screen now utilise 5 or 6 times the space and scrolling is required. As CW said, you can't get an overview anymore. I would have brought up the visibility of the 'type' but I've just figured you can hide that. Bring back the columns, please!

Paul Sagar 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

yup that solved it! duh....

Paul Sagar 14 Apr 2020

Is there a compromise between the old and new looks, addressing some of what people above say? Namely, if space is reduced between the stars, grades, and type of climb symbols, could the page be displayed as two columns instead of one? This would look better and be more functional.

Grahame N 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

> I agree with this.

> Also there is a huge gap between the grade and stars columns, which for me definitely makes it less browsable than it used to be.

I agree too.

As Mr Witter says - "It looks nice at a glance, but I'm not a fan of the new logbook design. The biggest usability issue is just that it's harder to get an overview of a crag because you have to scroll through every route in one column now, rather than there being multiple columns as in the old design. I'm not sure this really counts as increased functionality."

Please bring back the columns, two at least.

Blake 14 Apr 2020

For me, the holy grail on the crag page is that people with a rockfax subscription get clickable topo's on desktop and they're linked to all the crag info, like these:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/zoomtopo/cloggy/

I would also like the moon on a stick pls 😂 

Max.shepherd 14 Apr 2020

Thanks for looking into it so quickly!

Mr. Lee 15 Apr 2020

Just updated info for a crag I started to moderate. The system is asking me to accept the changes that I added myself (I was already moderator when updating). The second issue is that accepting the changes doesn't do anything, and I still have the changes waiting to be verified. This is the crag page in question:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/oksas-26485

tlouth7 15 Apr 2020
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I had the same problem yesterday and when my changes were accepted they accidentally resulted in creating a new crag with the same name, rather than editing the existing crag. NB the URL for a crag edit page includes the string "addcrag" which makes me think the edit button is pointing to the wrong place.

In reply to Mr. Lee:

This, and tlouth7's similar issue, should be fixed now. Thanks

jycr 15 Apr 2020

One thing I don't like about the redesign is that I am unable to look at many climbs in the same space. I have to scroll far to get to what I want if I want to avoid using the search bar. Would like an option to switch between greater route detail as the new layout shows and simply showing a greater quantity on the page.

Mike Nolan 15 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

I completely agree with this comment and also don't like the Rockfax style stars as a replacement to the old style. I find them really hard to read (especially at a glance when scrolling through a crag), but maybe that's just my eyes!

Post edited at 16:27

We're taking all the feedback on board, and will allow some more time to get more opinions before making any big changes. We'll probably leave it a few weeks until we re-visit it again.

MischaHY 17 Apr 2020

> Every crag and hill page will now sport a sleeker route table...

Triggered. tHin End oFthe WEDGE

jon 17 Apr 2020

Partners' ascents. The view partners ascents button comes up. When I click on it, it offers me the choice of partners. I click on one and it names that partner. All as it should do, except none of their ticks are shown in the route list.

In reply to jon:

Cheers, fixed now

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH 

Overall I like the changes, but it would be good to get the stars changed as at the moment it's pretty tough to differentiate - either different symbols as per old asterisks, or different colours, would do it for me  

Paul Clarke 20 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News: Since the changes the routes table no longer appears on my ( fairly old iPad). Intro etc there but doesnt bring up the routes.

In reply to Paul Clarke:

The safari issue should be fixed now.

Its basically because its such an old browser (safari 10/11), our deployment process has to be specifically tweaked to cater for it

Paul Clarke 21 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH: Table appears fine but now the crag info has fallen apart.

In reply to Paul Clarke:

Could you send a screenshot of what it looks like to me please? Andy [at] ukclimbing [dot] com

Paul Clarke 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH: Sent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...