ARTICLE: Ring Ouzels on the Eastern Edges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The eastern Peak District is home to a small but significant population of breeding Ring Ouzels, a bird on the Red List of conservation concern. Unfortunately some have chosen to nest among the busiest crags in England, so what can climbers and walkers do to avoid disturbance? Kim Leyland looks at conservation efforts, and the future of this charismatic bird.

Read more

Nic Barber 07 May 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Not in the Peak, but I was underneath Grasmoor the other weekend, just up from Lanthwaite, when I saw a Ring Ouzel flitting about just above the heather and bilberry. I say I, I happened to be out for a run with someone currently employed to spot Ring Ouzels. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 May 2021

I doubt anyone is bothered but the 'Springwatch comes to Stanage' shot it Overhang Buttress on Burbage,

Chris

wercat 09 May 2021

Lovely article.  Never seen one in England but I was lucky enough to watch a pair high up on the grassy slopes just before the path from Glenbrittle Hostel leaves the vegetation to climb up a stony spur of Sgurr na Banachdich 3 or 4 years ago.

Post edited at 10:18
 NBR 13 May 2021

They really are fantastic birds and I've always found the privilege of observing them when out climbing them more than compenstates for not being able to climb some areas for a few weeks, so I don't find it unfortunate at all that they choose to nest at Stanage etc

Wimlands 13 May 2021

Great article and really interesting... thank you.

Living in Sussex we look out for the Ouzels as they migrate over the South Downs and it’s a real pleasure to see them and wish them a good journey...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...