SITE UPDATES: New Logbook Features

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 10 Dec 2021

We've been working on a few exciting features to Logbooks to make it an even better resource for the thousands of climbers that use it. Many of these features are in response to user feedback and suggestions.

Read more

JLS 10 Dec 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I’ve uploaded some videos. I notice that while YouTube videos offer touch screen controls (pause etc) on my iPad, Vimeo videos on the other hand can’t be stopped once you start, unless you click another video’s thumbnail below. Is this as you’d intended?

In reply to JLS:

No, it should work the same. It does in my browser. We'll check the tablet controls.

C Witter 10 Dec 2021

Good work team! This looks incroiable! The search function is cool, but videos for boulder problems and the ability to add topos (rather than just as a photo) really ups the game of the databases in a new way. Cracking stuff.

Alpenglow 10 Dec 2021

Good work, although I have a suggestion for the search

Take the below search for example:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?climb_type=3&location=grasmere&...

Sport climbs in Cumbria, crags with 4+ routes up to F6a+

When you do the search, the crags brought up below list the total number of routes at the crag. Is it possible for it to display an additional column showing the number of routes in the search criteria? i.e. the number of sport routes up to F6a+ in this case

In reply to Alpenglow:

Yea I had considered adding this. Initially it slowed down the search a bit, but I think it’s probably worth exploring again. Will take a look next week

cheers

Giles Davis 11 Dec 2021

Hi Paul,

Just tried to search for Rock Types only and I can't appear to do this unless I'm doing something wrong or I've got to put more info into the search fields. 

Either way, I've always thought it would be good to have Rock Type Tick Lists as well as Climb Tick Lists. Is this possible?

Cheers, Giles

The Pylon King 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

How can you overide incorrect information in the logbooks that the moderator doesnt seem to be bothered to update? Important stuff like routes names/ FA details etc. Where the logbook is incorrect and the new guidebook is.

In reply to Giles Davis:

Sent you an email.

In reply to The Pylon King:

You can drop an email to request being added as a second moderator for a crag: https://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.php?d=8#form

or use the moderators thread https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rockfax/ukc_logbook_moderators_thread_202...

von_donsburg 12 Dec 2021

These are great updates, thank you! I particularly appreciate the map updating to show only the locations included in the search results

In reply to JLS:

This should be working now

In reply to Alpenglow:

Have added this now to the routes column (with the real total number of routes at the crag in brackets)

Cog 12 Dec 2021

If I do a search on the map I get a list of hills below the map. If I click on these I don't get anywhere.

The page "/logbook/hills/ben_nevis-16877/crag.php?id=16877" was not found on this server.

Pottsy84 12 Dec 2021

Looks good. 

Perhaps a minor point, but when searching in Dorset for Sport crags with 5+ routes at 6a - 6c I get zero results, which I'm sure we can all agree isn't quite right. I hadn't changed the distance from the default 20km - it seems it translates 'Dorset' as an arbitrary central point in the county, which Swanage/Portland don't fall within 20km of (widening the search to 40km solves it). Appreciate this may be a limitation of the underlying map data but thought I'd flag it in case there's an easy fix.

Apologies if I've missed something - what does the colour coding of the search results mean? Could a key be added?

Out of interest - are there future plans to enhance the stats in personal logbooks? Even something as simple as unique ticks in a specific style (if like me you log unsuccessful attempts, repeats, clean top-ropes before redpointing etc you have to download to Excel and do your own analysis to get a meaningful picture of your year).

JLS 12 Dec 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

I don’t think it’s working as well as you’d hoped!

While viewing a playing Vimeo video in a window in the UKC page the only controls I can access are the double tap advance 15sec/ reverse 15sec. These hidden controls seem to require the double tap to occur in the top half of the screen (left or right).

The controls work as expected if I go to full screen mode before I start the video playing.

remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2021

Adding videos to the logbook is ace! Once it starts to fill out it'll make finding beta videos a breeze.

One (hopefully) small request, it'd be handy if there was an 'Add video' button on https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/videos/ which took you to the page for adding a new video.

Another small thing, on the video tab on a climb the list 'other routes with videos at ...' appears to include duplicates, it'd be nice if the entries were unique.

BStar 13 Dec 2021

Fantastic work.  

I think you've managed to introduce a new bug though, when adding a route to your wishlist from the route page (rather than the crag page) the button is in the state as if the route is already in your wishlist, clicking it brings up the message that you have 'Removed from wishlist'.  

In reply to remus:

Thanks for pointing that out, fixed now

In reply to remus:

Sorry should've been there but a bug stopped it showing!

> Thanks for pointing that out, fixed now

Thanks!

Another small thing, this link seems to be pointing to the wrong place.

In reply to BStar:

Good spot, cheers. fixed

In reply to remus:

thanks, also fixed

In reply to Pottsy84:

It's mostly a limitation of the geo-encoder we use. I may look into adding more items to our list of "common words -> place' (ie "the peak" - > "Peak District, England"). It doesn't really apply in this specific example of "Dorset", but you can select a one of the other results from your location search using the "change location" button underneath where you type in the location.

Have added a key for colour coding. Meant to get round to this but slipped my mind!

We do need to revamp the stats a bit, it is very much on the to do list!

Graeme Hammond 13 Dec 2021

Good features.

Regards the videos i have a little feedback:

Just wondering if you have considered what will happen in the future when there are multiple videos of the same problems how will they be ranked, by date order or by votes (not a current feature), as i can see a lot of dross being uploaded if you tube is anything to go by and it could be hard to filter the useful videos from go-pro rubbish etc...

Also there is no feature like on the photos to leave written feedback, positive (great video I love the light, inventive sequence) or negative (nice dab there mate lol, the arete isn't allowed at that grade).

Fairly certain that during the latest changes the stars on the logbooks seem to have increased in size which I find a bit distracting.

thanks for the continued development

Cobra_Head 13 Dec 2021

Great stuff, any chance of filtering on minimum heights, too?

Dave Garnett 13 Dec 2021

Can you fix that my ascents suddenly stopped on 21 September?

No, me neither unless it stops raining!

thepodge 13 Dec 2021

I think something isn't working right for me. 

If I put Three Bears in the Name field underneath Advanced Search and leave everything else blank then the only thing that comes up is  The Three Bears Boulder when what I actually want is The Three Bears at Burbage North. 

This means I just end up using the map and scrolling till I think I'm in about the right area and then clicking on stuff till I get it right. 

I'm fairly sure that before the update it would suggest different places as you typed then in and would list multiple options with the location in brackets. 

Post edited at 13:51
 thepodge 13 Dec 2021
In reply to thepodge:

I also noticed that if you click South Yorkshire on the bit below the main banner where it says:

Home / Logbooks / England / South Yorkshire

Fairly sure it used to take me to a list of places in South Yorkshire, now it just takes me to the main search page which means if I'm just browsing an area, I'm scrollin' scrollin', scrollin' on the map again. 

Nick1812P 13 Dec 2021
In reply to thepodge:

I think you're a searching for a route name rather than a crag name hence your confusion. 

I don't think the updates are designed to make it easier to find a specific route you already know the name of, rather discover new places that have the kind of routes you are currently looking for.

It's still easy to search for a route or crag by name from the logbook tab, which is miles easier than scrolling across the map if you already know which crag page you want to look at.

thepodge 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Nick1812P:

Its not a route, its a Buttress. If my mate says do you fancy doing Three Bears this week (as just happened) there is no way for me to look it up without knowing what Crag its on. 

Didn't the old system also search the Buttress & route / problem? Again fairly sure when I wanted to add something to my logbook tick list I just started typing the problem and it came up. 

Post edited at 13:54
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Not sure why I didn't add this initially tbh! Have added now.

thepodge 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Nick1812P:

> It's still easy to search for a route or crag by name from the logbook tab, which is miles easier than scrolling across the map if you already know which crag page you want to look at.

Ok, so maybe I've perhaps been using this different to everyone else but...

Home / Logbooks / Crag Search > Name > Three Bears = 1 result

Home / Logbooks / My Logbook > Search For Crag > Three Bears = Loads of results

Surely these are the same command looking at the same data but giving a different result. I'd always assumed that the My Logbook search would only search what is in My Logbook. I'll try and adjust my habits to use Search For Crag not Crag Search. 

Thanks

Cobra_Head 13 Dec 2021

> Not sure why I didn't add this initially tbh! Have added now.

Nice one, cheers.

Can you come and fix my car now?

In reply to thepodge:

The crag search on My Logbook, a crag or a climb page will search crags and buttresses and show the dropdown. The search is minimised as standard on the crag/climb pages btw, click on the magnifying glass to see it.

I think it'd make it awkward to add the same functionality on the advanced Crag Search page.

ChrisBrooke 13 Dec 2021

Now that peakbouldering.info seems to be permanently offline, the video feature is great for us boulderists.  I'm going to get down to some serious uploading

In reply to Cog:

Fixed this one.

Cobra_Head 13 Dec 2021

> Not sure why I didn't add this initially tbh! Have added now.

Just looked, can't see it.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

You definitely looking at the hill page?
https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/hill/

Cobra_Head 13 Dec 2021

> You definitely looking at the hill page?https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/hill/

No I was looking at the climbing page.

My original post was about the routes page, quite often I've spent time looking only to

find route are about 6m high.

Cheers

In reply to Cobra_Head:

We'll probably need to add some pre-caching of the min/max climb height data for each crag. Andy just changed it for a crag height search before. Leave it with us. 

Post edited at 16:56
In reply to thepodge:

I have tried to remedy this. the result isn't perfect, but should work for most countries/counties

Andy Moles 13 Dec 2021

Nice work, some handy additions.

Sorry if I've missed this being mentioned already, but on the search crag map it seems I can change the filter for maximum grade but not for minimum grade?

Also curious how accurate/sensitive the weather function is? I suspect this might be the least useful of the functions with vagaries of forecasting, timing of rainfall, micro-climates, the fact that dry skies does not automatically equal dry rock, etc.

In reply to Andy Moles:

You should be able to set the minimum grade. On desktop you use the left slider, on phones you use the left dropdown (as per images).

The weather info is sourced from https://www.worldweatheronline.com. I agree it's probably not the most accurate, but may give you an indication at least.

In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Hi Graeme,

Voting and Comments are already on the todo list.

I've reduced the size of the stars on the crag page. Might need to force refresh to see the change.

Cheers, Paul.

Graeme Hammond 13 Dec 2021

Excellent.

Had another couple of thoughts this afternoon:

When you look at someone's video gallery, it is more of just a list, would it be possible to use the same thumbnails you get if you go to a problem or route? This way it is a bit more of a gallery and visually interesting, I'd certainly be more likely to click on a video if looks good on a thumbnail, also it is easier to remember which ones you have seen.

Also for consistency when at a particular crag should the video tab display the number videos associated with that crag like it does for photos?

Would love to see a video of the week/latest videos section like with the photos feature.

Post edited at 18:41
 Andy Moles 13 Dec 2021

Yeah on my desktop the left slider isn't appearing?

(Using Windows and Firefox if that helps)

Post edited at 19:03
 Wicamoi 13 Dec 2021

I think it might be a good idea to link the grade for the problem listed with the video to the grade for the problem actually given in the main list. I'm already seeing anomalies - could get messy.

thepodge 13 Dec 2021

Cheers for that though I'm happy with the process of going through the my logbooks search. 

In reply to Andy Moles:

Added a workaround for the different behaviour Firefox for that slider.

In reply to JLS:

Okay, took another look at this. Was a cache issue, but not sure why it existed. Hopefully works for you now.

Mike-W-99 14 Dec 2021

Hi Andy, thanks for the work on this. Noticed that on a mobile and tablet that the height selectors are disappearing on the hill search. They reappear if I move to landscape mode on the tablet so assume it’s the framework for the responsive layout?

Post edited at 10:15
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yea the "more options" button to expand the filters had mysteriously disappeared from that page! should work as expected now.

also set the default max altitude to 9000m

Graeme Hammond 14 Dec 2021
In reply to ukc:

Is it just me but i just get an "Error querying database" if i try to use the filter crags I have visited function?

ps if possible this would be an even better feature if you could find crags within the set criteria that had routes or problems you hadn't climbed rather than based on visits. So for example find crags with routes of 2 stars or more I haven't climbed within a set distance.

Not sure if others agree but I would find it more useful and faster to use if the type of climbing had a "All types" option that was the set default and then you could specify if you wanted to and the grade range feature only worked if you selected a particular type. Alternatively the default could be set as a user option so for someone who only boulders could have bouldering as the default. obviously I have no idea how feasible these things are.

pps I have a sort of related search problem, it is the following scenario which is when i most often want to use the search function (or I am using the search wrong?) for example to find Long Tall Sally (E1 5b) but can't actually remember its name:

I know the name of the crag eg:  Burbage North that the route that I want to find is at but not the actual name of the buttress or climb. With big crags I don't want to scroll through the crag or the buttress as this takes ages particularly on my phone. Therefore I search a problem or buttress it is near it that i can remember eg Brooks' Layback (HS 4b) or Burbage North. Great I am in the right area but all the other climbs have now disappeared and I can't view the adjacent buttress now. I then have to repeat the process now I have the correct buttress or climb name or more likely use the chrome find in page feature so I can view the immediate area not just that particular buttress or climb.  Or is there a better way i could be doing this?

Fixed the error query. cheers

I like the idea of "routes I haven't climbed" as part of the filter

I think you are already describing how the climb type filter works. it is by default showing all types, then in order to filter based on grade, you have to select a climb type. Maybe the wording needs to be changed to make it clear the filters are "opt-in", and leaving a filter blank means it will allow any value of it essentially.

The scenario you have described is one I have actually noticed. I have considered a button(?) to toggle the hiding of none matched routes. essentially it would be a "show route in context" switch. I'll take a look to see how feasible this is (the biggest issue is figuring out where to put it!). The one improvement I would suggest is using the filter button to limit the grade (E1 in example) and any other criteria that would help. (note: this whole scenario is referencing the crag page with route filtering, not the advanced crag search mentioned in the rest of this thread)

Graeme Hammond 14 Dec 2021

Thanks you.

peter.herd 14 Dec 2021

Noticed there are various links associated with bouldering venues. I'd suggest linking to Scottish Bloc would be a good addition where appropriate.

Scottish Bloc is a community run platform dedicated to sharing development, news, and creative content about bouldering in Scotland.

It's possible to link specific topos (eg https://scottishbloc.com/topos/strathconon-and-strathgarve-bouldering-updat...) and/or news items (eg https://scottishbloc.com/2021/11/02/northwest-sandstone-update/). 

Cheers,

Pete

JLS 14 Dec 2021

Yip, controls to work now.

I'm not sure if it was an issue before but now when I play a square-ish format video the top and bottom are trimmed out of frame in the wide format UKC window. I'd have expected to see the full image with black bars at the side...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/creag_a_bhancair-402/the_third_eye...

In reply to JLS:

Hiya, this had been fixed but our CDN still had an old file on it. That video goes to 4x3 aspect ratio now.

tlouth7 14 Dec 2021

Thanks all, the ability to filter by type of climb is a real lifesaver in Scotland - so many crags only have winter climbs that otherwise it is impossible to find the trad climbing.

Also your UX work is top notch!

Andy Moles 14 Dec 2021

Another handy tweak would be to be able to select more than one aspect, so that you could search for crags facing SE through to W, for example.

Graeme Hammond 15 Dec 2021

Couple more bits of feedback/suggestions or things that don't seem to work quite right:

Blue circles indicating that a climb is in your wishlist are nolonger displayed in tick lists that you are subscribed to.

Unrelated to the new changes but if I use the "partner's accents" function at a large crag it only shows ascents for the start of the crag then doesn't show anything. For example at Stanage North it will show accents for partners about as far as down Chrow Chin then nothing.

Again Unrelated: If I add someone to a private ticklist and they subscribe to it, if they view a climb in the ticklist it doesn't always show up in the list of ticklists under the logbook info as it does for the owner. If later I remove them from being able to edit it they can nolonger view the ticklist but it still shows up in their subscribed ticklists but they can't view it and get an error. However they still show on the leaderboard when I thought they would be removed. Personally I think the feature would benifit if there was an option to add a user to view/subscribe but not to edit when the ticklish is set to privite however this is probably pretty niche functionality.

Related to the ticklists I would find it useful if viewing a particular logbook entry eg Tower Ridge (D) where it has been added to many ticklist the ones you are subscribed to show up differently for ease of identification. Perhaps bold and or in a different colour?

Thanks again

jbrom 15 Dec 2021

Great work. Loving the changes.

Could I make a suggestion that you can change the rock type to choose multiple types, or at least 'untick' categories like 'artificial' or 'crumbly rubbish'.

For example, living in the South East the search results, even with trad selected throw up a lot of railway bridges and walls in the search results. Would be a more useful set of results if I could select or unselect multiple rock types, eg unselecting 'artificial', 'crumbly rubbish' and 'sandstone (soft)' would give a much more useful set of results when searching for trad crags within 300 miles of my location.

Not to start a debate on if 'crumbly rubbish' and 'sandstone (soft)' are the same thing! :-P

Post edited at 10:13

cheers for these!

• Fixed the wishlist icons not showing in ticklists
  • fixed the partners ascents not being complete
  • I'll look into the ticklist issues. I like the idea of privately subbing someone, with their confirmation of course
  • Have made subbed tick lists bold on the climb page, nice idea
In reply to jbrom:

Pretty good suggestion. Have had a play and made a new "reverse" button for rock type and aspect (potentially on more filters in the future). So now you can exclude the ones you want. In doing so, aspect and rock type are now multi selects too.

Not getting involved in that debate...

Graeme Hammond 15 Dec 2021

Thanks quick work!

Another thing I just remembered on ticklist leaderboards is: the latest ascent shown on the leaderboard for any user often seems to have no relation to the date the user last actually logged a route in the ticklist. Sometimes it seems to show the last date you logged anything (for example myself on this ticklist: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?sort=d&id=272) or the date you logged the latest route in the ticklist rather than the date you actually climbed it so often serval days later (for example myself on this ticklist: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?sort=d&id=8) other times if you subscribe to a new list it just shows the date you subscribe.

Edit: related to this one of my friends who probably spends too long looking at list too also thought that it would be cool to be able to view which accents your partners actually has done in a ticklist in the same way you view a partners accents at a crag.

Post edited at 18:45
 Andy Moles 15 Dec 2021

Great work, this is a properly useful tool.

Yea that should be fixed now cheers.

Will add your edit to our to do list, but won't be immediate!

Andy Moles 15 Dec 2021

Following up from my suggestion about selecting multiple aspects, it strikes me that it's a bit limiting how crags can only be designated one aspect or 'all'. For a lot of crags it would be useful to be able to show that they have more than one dominant aspect, which is very often the case.

Graeme Hammond 20 Dec 2021

Noticed a slight glitch (in my browser on my phone anyway) if viewing a logbook entry that has both a photos and videos it therefore displays a number which seems to be increasing the width of that display bar and pushing the forward arrow that takes you to the next logbook entry onto the next line but leaving the previous logbook entry arrow in its place so instead of going from one entry to another you go round in circles 

Example: The Green Traverse (f7A) 

Post edited at 00:03
 DaveX 21 Dec 2021

Trying to upload any Instagram link I keep getting the same error:  Please fix the following errors

Instagram link cannot be found. Ensure the correct instagram ID has been entered into the source box

Tried with various Insta links but keep getting the same error.

In reply to DaveX:

Can you post a link example you are trying please?
I works for me when I post something like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXvfnR3tdiw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Cheers for this, have made it display a bit better on mobile

Graeme Hammond 21 Dec 2021

thanks that looks and will work better

DaveX 21 Dec 2021

Seemed to work OK off my mobile but was having none of it off the computer - will just do any insta ones off the phone. Cheers.

In reply to DaveX:

On your computer, just make sure you click the three dots on the top right of the post, and click copy link

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...