National Parks Without the Crowds: Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 06 May 2021

The staycation boom will bring a flood of visitors to our National Parks this spring and summer, and inevitable problems with traffic, crowds and litter. Always busy, the Lake District is likely to feel the full impact. To help spread the load, and enjoy a more peaceful visit, in this series we suggest some quieter alternatives to the bustling hotspots.

Read more

yorkshire_lad2 06 May 2021
In reply to UKH Articles:

"we suggest some quieter alternatives": will be less quiet now this articles been published.  There was an article in the Times last Saturday "UK's 50 quietest beaches": not any more...

In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

People will come to the area anyway, in their millions. But even in somewhere as small and busy as the Lakes the footfall does tend to concentrate in certain areas. The idea of this series is to help spread the load and encourage a mindset of looking beyond the usual honeypots. I doubt the Shap fells will be heaving as a result of this article, but the comparative few people who read it (out of those millions) might appreciate a few pointers to escape the hordes.

Simon Caldwell 06 May 2021

You've included a photo of the wrong Grey Crag, the one in the pic is the one near Hayeswater not the one at Sleddale. 

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks! I was trying to make that photo fit the map, and had myself convinced. No excuses, from someone who lived in Patterdale for a while

Simon Caldwell 06 May 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I've got some photos of the right one from a backpacking trip last year if that would help. It's not very interesting though! Tarn Crag nearby is better with a very distinctive cairn.

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks Simon, I'd appreciate the chance to see a couple of pics (Tarn Crag too)

neilcollins92 07 May 2021

As a local, I'd quibble with the assertion that the back o' Skiddaw fells are quiet any more - they may be quieter than the central fells, but frankly, that isn't saying very much. I'd agree with most of the other suggestions though, especially the Shap fells and the Whinfell / Whinash ridges. I've generally found that fells in Wainwright's 'Outlying Fells' volume, with a few obvious exceptions e.g. Orrest Head, are often very quiet (and frequently pathless, even now!) If you still want to get up onto the main fells, there are quite a few routes in Wainwright's guides that are ignored by the masses e.g. the north-east ridge of Birkhouse Moor as an approach the Helvellyn, the east ridge of Grange Fell and so on.       

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...