Mountain Literature Classics: Walking with Jane Austen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that no young woman, of eighteen or twenty summers, may attain the rôle of heroine in Miss Austen's novels without a keen appreciation of country walks. Ronald Turnbull examines the evidence. 

Read more

heleno 25 Aug 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Really enjoyed this article thank you! 🙂 

The quote "What are men to rocks and mountains?" has been a favourite of mine since I first read P&P as a teenager. 

simoninger 12 Sep 2022

Here in Bath it's the Jane Austen Festival this week. A yomp over the Mendips isn't in the programme, oddly enough. 

gammarus 27 Sep 2022

Jane Austen? Really? You are using a very elastic definition of "Mountain Literature"!

May I humbly suggest sharing your thoughts on Ralph Barker's "The Last Blue Mountain"?

(PS I enjoy dipping into "Granite and Grit" - marvellous!)

Pedro50 27 Sep 2022

I've never read any Austen but the Rachel Parris comedy on R4 at 6.30 this evening was excellent and almost made me think I might give her a go. 

Michael Hood 28 Sep 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

I've read all of Jane Austen's books (*), her portrayals of "people" she disapproves of are brilliant, polite but incredibly cutting so that you sometimes have to read them twice to be sure that she really is having a good go at them.

(*) - actually over the years I think I've now read them all twice (except the unfinished ones like Sandition, but P&P probably 3 or 4 times), and unlike the OP, Northanger Abbey is the one I least like.

gammarus 28 Sep 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yes - it is a truth universally acknowledged that she was a brilliant writer. But - mountain literature? Come on.

dread-i 28 Sep 2022

Looking forward to the Wuthering Heights review.

Heathcliff, wandering the Pennine Way in the dark. The first ultra runner? Catherine bouldering at Ponden Kirk? Enquiring minds want more info.

In reply to gammarus:

Well, this is UKC/UKH, so I stretch it to include long distance walking. And then I stretch it some more to include short distance walking. And then I stretch it some more to include Jane Austen, because I just love her stuff. (Only read P&P three or four times???) And it's good to push the boundaries, isn't it? Given I'm not ever going to solo El Cap... 

But if it's any comfort, I'm just writing about Lionel Terray now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...