Mountain Literature Classics: The Shining Mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Forty years ago this month, Peter Boardman and Joe Tasker died on Everest. Written by Boardman, with additions from Tasker, this gripping account of the pair's celebrated first ascent of Changabang's fearsome West Wall captures the utter commitment of cutting edge 1970s Himalayan climbing. After many failed attempts, their route was only repeated in May 2022.

Read more

Giles Davis 27 May 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

My dad gave me this book when in my teens. I read it over and over, just brilliant. 

Kryank 27 May 2022

I absolutely love this book, along with Savage Arena beautifully written accounts of incredible accomplishments by Pete and Joe. 

Max factor 27 May 2022

I remember reading early on in my climbing when Himalayan big wall climbing was a totally abstract concept.  Even more impressive on re-reading with some knowledge, and incredible that it waited so long for a repeat. 

simon cox 27 May 2022

Thank you for reminding me of Boardman, Tasker and this book; modern day gladiators that wrote with simple but brutal honesty, this book along with Savage Arena are two of the greatest books on mountaineering I have read; although I read these books probably more than 30 years ago I still recall the writing of the descent off Changabang and a bivvy on Dunagiri (Tasker with Renshaw in Savage Arena), quite simply extraordinary achievements climbed with immense stoicism. S  

subtle 27 May 2022

Thanks for the timely reminder, will need to dust down my copy of the whole Boardman Tasker Omnibus and re-read.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...