Mountain Literature Classics: the Alpine Drawings of Samivel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Ronald Turnbull is carried to an idealised alpine age by the mountain drawings of French cartoonist Samivel, in his book Sous L'Oeil des Choucas, ou Les plaisirs de l'alpinisme (under the eye of the chough, or the pleasures of alpinism).

Read more

Doug 02 Jun 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Good to see Samivel in a non-French 'publication', in many ways ahead of his time on issues such as conservation, I find his cartoons & posters timeless. Have any of his books been translated into English ?

Mick Ward 02 Jun 2022

Have always loved his work. Thank you!

Mick 

broken spectre 02 Jun 2022

Astounding article! I'll be researching Samivel, this is the first I've heard of him and it looks iconic stuff!

Myfyr Tomos 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Doug:

Indeed Doug. So ahead of his time. When the hordes descended (ascended?) on the mountains of North Wales after the lockdown, the Samivel cartoons immediately sprang to mind .

In reply to Doug:

I didn't find any English version. But the captions are short, and all the words are ones you'll find useful in the hut. The one show in the article, sorry the caption got lost, it's "How they did it... and how they talked about it afterwards".

Doug 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Ronald Turnbull:

He also published some books of which I suspect the best known (at least in France) is L’Amateur d'abîmes & at least one novel -Le Fou d'Edenberg - which I've not read but apparently is good.

More info for anyone interested at http://www.samivel.fr/fr/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...